Sign in to follow this  

help?..about to rip into engine..broke shifter shaft in big ass rutt

just trying to pick brains here.......never been that deep into my bike before....have manual....but wondering if there might be some tricks or such that will make this easier...splitting case?...98 XR400, she was fun!!! on another note-just moved to idaho....u would not believe the hundreds of miles to ride out here!!!!!!!!!!gotta get it fixed,like yesterday :cry:

I havent been into my motor either, but be sure to add a skidplate and folding tip shift lever to the parts bill!

My skidplate, I think its Baja Designs {bought used} has plates on the sides that protect the oil lines, brake pedal and shifter from most impacts.

Good luck with the repairs!

Robert :cry:

had lots of looks, but not much input...........i guesse there is either not to many people that have torn thier motors apart or there is just no tricks to it...it will be this weekends prodject so if someone has had to replace a shifter before....please give some helpful hints?????

hint#1 dont use sledge hammer!!!! :cry:

Ok I will bite. If you have any mechanical knowledge it's not that hard.

The only advice I can give is go slow and there is no need for prying or beating.

Watch the gear shift mechanism close so you get it back together right as well as the gear clusters and spacers.

Don't be afraid to replace worn parts while you are in there, nothing worse than doing it twice.

bake

I just did this last week.. If you have to replace the shift shaft. You have to split the cases make sure you have all the gaskets a new shifter I also replaced my timing chain my kickstart oil seal and my shift shaft oil seal.. There are a ton of gaskets in there that are not reuseable I called service honda to get my parts saved a ton of money! Be cautious with all the gears and shift drums etc you will not need to pull these out to do the job but if you turn your case they will fall out!!! :cry:

It is a very straightforward job that is not to hard I took pic and video and just followed my manuel I am proud to say I had no left over parts nor was I missing any :cry: :cry: :cry:

THANKS FOR THE INPUT: I AM SURE I WILL BE CAPABLE OF DOING THIS. FROM PAST EXPERIENCE, I HAVE RUN INTO MANY A THING THAT BECAME A PAIN. WHEN I EXPLAIN THESE THINGS TO SOMEONE WHO DOES IT EVERY DAY, I ALMOST ALWAYS HEAR: OH ALL YOU HAD TO DO IS.(WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW BEFORE HAND)....SO THANKS AGAIN FOR THOSE WHO REPLIED...I WILL SEE U OUT THERE!!!!.........SOON :cry: