Sign in to follow this  

Can You Identify This Mystery Rider ???

i watched him win the us gp at carlsbad in the early 80s. he beat lacky, david thorpe, and a bunch of others. malherb crashed, and they carried him off on a stretcher. my 2 brothers and i camped out on the carlsbad freeway that day with a cooler and a big american flag. glover won the 250 support race, a national i believe. it was on abc wide world of sports, and jackie stewart was the commentator.

I watched him win a Trans-USA race at Sears Point. :cry:

He totally killed in that series.

I saw him lay waste to RedBud support class one year. (See my other RB pics!) :cry: :cry: :cry:

i watched him win the us gp at carlsbad in the early 80s. he beat lacky, david thorpe, and a bunch of others. malherb crashed, and they carried him off on a stretcher. glover won the 250 support race, a national i believe. it was on abc wide world of sports, and jackie stewart was the commentator.

Yeah, I forgot about that one, when he was on, he was on :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

you know, watching the videos on supercross.com of carlsbad and namur, and thinking about that race, i realize how different motocross is these days. i'm remembering watching chandler coming down the carlsbad freeway on that works cr500. it was hard as concrete with a thin layer of mud on top. those guys had cajones. they didn't do triples then, but i think the cornering speeds and straight speeds were faster. some jumps were REALLY big though.

coolest thing that day was watching lacky get his bike rebuilt completely by the suzuki mechanics in between motos,

c_06.jpg

and then his coming out in the second moto with flames on his helmet. i think that after malherb went down, he knew that he had the champinship in the bag. all hail brad and danny laporte, the first us world champions :cry::cry:

Edit: found photo of bad brad complete with flames on his web site. Note that this was pre TLD. Got some photos of Chandler round here somewhere...

Danny (magoo) Chandler!!. I raced with him in dist. 36 during the 70,s. He was the local hero and taught the rest of us ALOT!. Great rider who was WAY!! ahead of us locals. He was hurt I belive in a supercross event in Japan or somewhere in euroupe??, I don't remember!!. The first guy I saw do a one hander crossup on the double downhill jump at Sandhill ranch, I tryed it and crashed. Had he not been injured he would rank right up there with Hannah,Baily,ect. Last I heard he was still involved in MX as a promoter??. :cry:

To Bultaco206. Do you really have a 70 DKW 125, and does it still have the the leading link forks??. That was one of my first real race bikes and after I replaced the leading link front end with some cerranys,(sorry my spelling is bad!!), and lost the Bing carb for a Mikuni, I either won a race or broke the bike!!. I doubt there,s many here that remember the Sachs engines??, they were awesome for there day but if you tryed to upshift beyound 6th gear you'd shear the head off the shaft end then gear down but never come back up!!. Other than that plus the many false neultrals and the quirky Motoplat ignition, the bike was awesome!!!.. Except for the Huskys the Jap bikes ruled after that. :cry:

I think Chandler was racing at the Paris, France Supercross what he looped over a jump. This time he could not get up. I believe he was with Mike Collins who owned a small motorcycle shop in Concord, CA called Dirt Factory. Chandler was making a come back after he lost his Honda ride. When was riding good he was SPECTACULAR!!!

To Bultaco206. Do you really have a 70 DKW 125, and does it still have the the leading link forks??. That was one of my first real race bikes and after I replaced the leading link front end with some cerranys,(sorry my spelling is bad!!), and lost the Bing carb for a Mikuni, I either won a race or broke the bike!!. I doubt there,s many here that remember the Sachs engines??, they were awesome for there day but if you tryed to upshift beyound 6th gear you'd shear the head off the shaft end then gear down but never come back up!!. Other than that plus the many false neultrals and the quirky Motoplat ignition, the bike was awesome!!!.. Except for the Huskys the Jap bikes ruled after that. :cry:

Yep, I have a Deek. I bought it in a box a few years ago and restored it. It came with Ceriani forks. Someone tossed the Earles forks and added them. I hunted down a set and put them on. The Boge shocks are junk and aren't rebuildable. I found a guy in Germany making replicas and they are on the way. Once I get them, I will race the bike in one event, then put it away. The motor is awesome. I've never seen torque like that in a 125.

I'm not very handy posting pics on TT, but I'll try...

f7a646c6.jpg

Yep, I have a Deek. I bought it in a box a few years ago and restored it. It came with Ceriani forks. Someone tossed the Earles forks and added them. I hunted down a set and put them on. The Boge shocks are junk and aren't rebuildable. I found a guy in Germany making replicas and they are on the way. Once I get them, I will race the bike in one event, then put it away. The motor is awesome. I've never seen torque like that in a 125.

82_175_Q4_09.jpg

It was a lot of fun finding all the parts to rebuild the can-Am. I have had the good fortune to see the DKW and Bultaco206's other machinery in person and it is quite impressive indeed. Very nice bikes, I especially like the Bultaco. :cry: