Sign in to follow this  

Scott's damp. question

I have a friend who just purchased a 1998 cr 500. He rode it a few times and then put the scotts on it and said it is such an improvement it is like cheating. Am I looking at such an imporvement with a 04 crf 450? Or is the bike already ahead of the cr500 that it is just a waist of money. Would like to hear from people that don't just like to spend money to add the bling. If you had a stock bike and added it and realized a world of differenc or not would be helpful. Thank you

What kind of riding are you doing?

I put one on my 03. I ride mostly sand trails and it is great. I instantly gives you more confidence that ultimatly has you riding faster. I don't know what difference it would make for mx.

Are these and the GPR units easy to move from bike to bike? Do I just have to buy a new mount if I want to use it on another bike?

Thanks,

Scott

A stabilizer is NOT a waste of money, it is WORTH it. I ride only in the desert and for ANY kind of jumps, drop off's into washes and ESPECIALLY whoops, it can be a head saver. It keeps the bars from jerking out of your hands.

It has saved me a few times and I would NEVER ride without one now. Go get it. I don't ride on the track but I could see it great in the whoops and over jumps but I'm not sure about it going in and out of tight corners how you would adjust it?? Somebody else will have to answer this one.

I have a red anondized GPR 2.0 and it looks and works great. I've riden bikes with Scotts and it's works fine too but doesn't look as cool. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

those 500s are a handfull and have massive head shake...the damper helped him a lot and was nite and day.

On a 450 if you are jsut a normal joe rider and dont race...dont bother but if you are racing or riding a lot in rocks, whoops, ruts, roots,sand...get one...you will never go back.

If your a slow rider I dont think the dampener will help as much. Its when your hualing azz threw a creek bed or skimming the tops of sandwhoops does the scotts damp really shine. But I get more armpump in MX if its set to high. I usually set it back one full turn from my desert setting. Its a TOOL that you can use to your advantage.

I have a Scott's on my '04 450. I ride all types of events and I do not spend $$ on bling - it has to be practical to be on my bike.

Goods points: sand, whoops, tree roots, braking bumps are all tamed

Bad points: :cry: none that I can think of

As the others stated above, it is a good tool. The faster you go, the better it is - but this does not mean you have to be Scott Summers to appreciate it.

Two mounts are available: on the handlebar mount which ends up right under your chin or on the front fender in front of the number plate. I've had mine on my YZ400, YZ426 and now my '03CRF450 and I don't ride/race without it!

but this does not mean you have to be Scott Summers to appreciate it.

Scott summers doesnt appreciate it, but I got your point! He doesnt ride with a damper...I forget his reasoning but he said something like this "my bike is so perfect handling I dont need one"...must be nice to go from conventional to upside down forks at the drop of a hat for different terrain.

I put an RTT on my 04 and it made a huge difference. Mostly high speed but also during lower speed riding with big side hits. It helps you ride faster for longer and helps fight fatigue. My KTM does not have a stabilizer and it feels like a handful coming off the CRF.