Sign in to follow this  

JD bog is back with your kit?

I have yosh pipe p-38 40 lk jet plug is getting cleaner but is sooty around the rim should i lean out needle now ? there is color on the ceramic. I started at 185 blue 5th clip like kit says . I am now at 180 fuel screw at 1 3/8. before bike was pretty well jetted at 172 with out kit

Try switching to the red marked needle in the 5th from top clip position. This will lean the lower throttle range and have it running cleaner. Ride the bike to check for bogging with it fully up to temperature and under normal riding conditions.

James

with the kit if i want to keep leaning out the needle do I switch back and forth? blue 5 to red 5 to blue 4 to red 4 . or stick with red and lower needle/ raise clip . plug is still rich rim is sooty and dont need choke to start it when cold. I have 178 main in now 40 pj 40 lk jet

Stick with the red marked needle and raise the clip if needed. It is leaner in the 0-1/4 throttle range mostly. Use the clip position to adjust mid-range jetting and fuel screw for low speed and idle.

James

thank you..am I correct to jet down on the main til there is just a touch of color on ceramic and leaner on needle til rim is clean. to get me close? Im aware that your really need to use a sniffer to be perfect. I took the power now plus off to make it simpler. thanks for getting back to me so fast.

Without an exhaust analyzer, I think you would be better served by judging how the bike performs while riding. The plug can be affected by a wide range of throttle positions and is misleading if rich in one range and lean in another.

James