Sign in to follow this  

Former owner of 250x..my thoughts on the bike...

First off i am not here to bash honda or try and convince anyone to sell their bike just to give my take on the ride..i got caught up in the hype and traded a suzuki 2004 dl650 v strom road bike with 1900 miles on it plus 700.00 cash for the honda..i raced four hare scrambles on the 250x and traded it for a ktm 200exc 2 stroke..as far as the valve issues on the honda mine were in need of shims after 10 hrs and 180 miles..it was also smoking and burning oil..plus i did not like the performance at all,to slow,felt heavy to me,i had a hard time riding this bike in really tight woods...the plus side was electric start,good suspension,good traction..not a lot of wheelspin,great gas mileage..overall a good playbike/trail bike...IF AND A BIG IF.. IT WAS RELIABLE..WHICH IN MY OPINION IT IS NOT..so the only way honda is gonna take notice is if this bike does not sell..dont get caught in the b.s. magazine hype..this aint a great bike for racing..the ktm completely blows it away..way faster,lighter,no reliability problems..and cost way less than the honda..plus the ktm dealer let me ride the bike before i bought it..now that is confidence in your product..i hope that you guys who still have your 250x that honda will stand behind the bike..but i doubt it..so next time you buy a bike dont give honda a look..that is how you fight the big boys ..with your wallet..thanks..now back to ktm talk.....

You know what they say!

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one! :cry:

I seroiusly think that CR250F riders are in denial of thier bike being NOT RELIABE. My brother has one and 2 of his friends we ride track with has CR250F's too. Litertally every 2-3 rides they are checking their valve clearances and having to reshim either that time or the next because the vavles are closing so quick. All three of them have decided to get a 05 YZ125 or wait for the 06 YZ250F. I dont see how Honda riders think normal maitanence is reshimming every few rides. I have over 20 hours on my bike since I bought it used and both times Ive checked all 5 valves were in spec. Just mine and a few others opinons but then again we are all a$$holes. :cry:

all i can say is that you just about broke your neck checking out my opinion on the bike..so if opinions are like a$$holes why are you on this site reading other peoples opinions??? you need to be in your shop checking the valves on your honda ..oh yeah check the oil too...see ya........ha ha ha ...

Sorry, but I'm an &%$#@! as well and agree with most of what suzkid has said.

The bike can be made to race, and some people, including myself, can make the X go fast, but it is kind of heavy, and slow, and small, and it has issues.

I just ordered a 05 300EXC after spending time on one. It actually is a thumper, or it is tractable like one, 227lbs ready to ride without gas, almost 50 HP, nimble, reliable, and really smooth right out of the box. :cry:

The X is a cool bike, but overated, IMO. Almost 250lbs without gas, and barely 30+ HP. Suspension is sweet, but too soft for me at 170lbs. And most of the X's you run into are really loud. Everyone is uncorking them and you have to be on the pipe to make them go fast. Not a good combo for the future of our sport. The stock exhaust is pretty cool. too bad most of them get uncorked.

Glad I dumped mine! Hopefully Honda will fix the problems that an alarming number of owners are having. :cry:

KH

It's pretty funny that you guys (KH and Suzkid) do an awful lot of hanging around here in a forum where you hate the bike. You don't even have a thumper anymore so nobody cares about your opinion.

KTM Talk is calling............

Suzkid WHY in the world would you trade the TOTALLY awesome, fun, 650V-Strom (I own one!!) for an X?? Dude you need a road bike AND a dirtbike...and you already HAD the coolest roadbike!! (was it black or blue?? mine's blue :cry:)

Ya! look at killerhiller comparing a 300exc to an x! If you where looking for a better power to wieght ratio then i guess a 2-smoke is for you! But trying to compare the 300 2 smoke to a little 250 4 stroke? Come on man , PULL YOUR HEAD OUT!

Oh and by the way if you did your research you would know that the honda valve problems are here and there, NOT with every bike! From what my dealer has said most of the valve problems have come from guys constantly hitting the rev limmiter! Also my 450 has well over 300 hours with not 1 single problem!

I don't go around bashing other peoples bikes, i just bash idiots with single minded opinions. Every bike has it's little problem areas but you don't see me going to ktm talk and addressing those to the ktm people. You don't see me going to the suzuki forum and telling them about all there little problems!

If you didn't like the x then thats fine with us becasue now the bike has an owner that is truely happy with it and wanted it to begin with, someone that wasn't delusional with what they where buying :cry:

It's pretty funny that you guys (KH and Suzkid) do an awful lot of hanging around here in a forum where you hate the bike. You don't even have a thumper anymore so nobody cares about your opinion.

KTM Talk is calling............

I don't go around bashing other peoples bikes, i just bash idiots with single minded opinions.

I read this forum because I am interested in buying a crf250x and I want to read about the experience of other owners. What I find are a bunch of defensive posts from owners directed at what I view as valid and objective comments from those having problems. If you are happy with the bike, great. But relax on the criticism of those who are not. I HAVE done my research and these problems are not confined to just a few bikes. They are very common and I'm sure NOT what Honda expected when it introduced this bike. I'm hoping for a lasting fix, because I still want a high performance 250 four stroke that is green sticker eligible here in nutty CA.

I read this forum because I am interested in buying a crf250x and I want to read about the experience of other owners.

That's great. KH had no problems with his bike but felt the need to bash it because he's riding something else.

Suzkid came here to stir the pot and he probably never owned one.

If those are the opinions you want that's fine.

I'm hoping for a lasting fix, because I still want a high performance 250 four stroke that is green sticker eligible here in nutty CA.

I'm hoping the stainless valves will be that fix. Kind of a shame to dump new valves in a brand new bike but if that's what it takes then that's what it takes. Terrific bike in every aspect but the valves.

Just curious....did you guys that sold your X's, outline all of your problems and dislikes about the bike, to the people you sold them to? Why hang around here disparaging guys who own them, wouldn't you be happier singing the praises of your current favorite in that forum, and trying to keep them from making your mistake? I keep thinking these forums should be constructive, not a "spit and argue club". Guys like RHC, Mike Perry, Kelstr, etc. Don't sing the praises of the CRF R's and X's, but they offer good constructive information, without calling people with issues, ass holes. Seems like the guys that are the most vocal, reverted to 2 strokes (I like my YZ 250, so I am not grinding the anti 2 stroke ax). Maybe you shouldn't have owned a 4 stroke in the first place. Cool, lesson learned, why rag the guys that like 'em?

I kinda feel like stirring the pot some.

I have labeled many of you guys as RED LEMMINGS. I think you get the idea of why I label ya'll as that.

I think there should be a poll from all you guys about the previous bikes you've owned. My guess is that you've almost always owned a Honda with minor exceptions here and there. My bud's who ride Honda's won't ride anything else or entertain the thought of any other color. "If it's red it's right".

My main riding bud is an ace mechanic and he loves crf's and kxf's as he is one of a few who has the tools and can do valve jobs on them. The 2 keep him busy and well fed. :cry: He rides blue and the blue bikes he does tend to be high houred 2-3 year old 250f's.

Now after my pot stirring here, I have about 3-4 hrs saddletime on red 450's and 250f's and I like alot about them, especially the way they turn. There is a lot of positives I can say about them. Reliablity over time isn't one.

Another interesting note is the injury rate for red riders in my part of the world. It could be that there is just a greater % of red riders vs. blue but the red pilots seem to be on injured reserve more often than the blue.

Now, back to the flaming and name calling......

"There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there ain't no old, bold riders"

"There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there ain't no old, bold riders"

Yah, one must decide which camp he will belong in.

I know a lot of bold riders on injured reserve right now.

Suzkid came here to stir the pot and he probably never owned one.

You obviously didn't read his post. Let me help....

traded a suzuki 2004 dl650 v strom road bike with 1900 miles on it plus 700.00 cash for the honda..i raced four hare scrambles on the 250x

Reads like he owned one to me.

And I'm looking for ALL reasonable opinions, not just the favorable or unfavorable ones.

Ok, I do like thumpers and I like this site. I was just expressing my opinion. I bought the X based on what a lot of TTer's said. Had there been a little info, positive or negative, about the bike, it may have altered my decision.

The bike wasn't for me. This site is obviously thumper orientated. A lot of new riders come here to learn about bikes. Two strokes are another option and it is only fair that the potential buyer be aware of the options available. Because I like both 2 and 4 strokes, maybe my insight could help someone save time and money down the road.

In hindsite, I could have been a little more diplomatic about my feedback. Sorry!

Ultimatly, I should have converted the R into a woodsbike/ track bike. It would have been a better choice for me personally. I May have gone that route after selling the X, but the handful of problems I've been hearing about scared me and for now , only have 2 strokes in the garage.

I think even on Thumper Talk, people have a right to be informed of the effectiveness of a 2 smoker. Of course, many of you have owned them, but many are trying to learn what they can here on TT to make a decision.

2 smokers are cheap right now. Someone on a budget could end up with a nice ride for thousands less. Buying a used thumper vs 2 stroke has it's pros and cons.

Again, sorry for being an &%$#@!. :cry:

KH

i need some help guys..04 x model,6 hours on it raced a hare scram last weekend and i wanted to check the valve clearance before next race..here goes the specs.. left ex-11,right ex-a tight 11,left intake 004 with some drag,right intake 006..i decided to run one more race and check them agian and shim if needed..well when i put it back together and i have triple checked it the bike will not start..it is getting fire and gas for sure..never had this problem before.does anybody have any ideas what this could be..thanks

Here's a quote from one of his posts.

He took the cam chain tensioner out to check the valve clearance, :cry: this was less than a month ago. The valve clearance was in spec. :cry: