Sign in to follow this  

Anybody Using The DID 520 MX Gold Chain?

I just ordered some Ironman sprockets (48/14) from mxsouth.com to complete the set and I was wondering if anybody else had this setup or wanted to comment on the 520 MX??

I am just about finished with my desert outfitted 2003 CRF450 and will only add a Baja Designs light kit and stator rewind and then I'll be pretty much done.

The desert is calling........ :cry::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

------------------------------------------

2003 Honda CRF450

GPR 2.0 stabilizer (red anondized)

Scott's stainless steel oil filter

Pro Taper CR mid bars (black)

Works Connection skid plate

Works Connection oil filler caps (red anondized)

Works Connection Throttle tube

XGX Xtreme Graphics "Pride" Full Kit

Clarke 3.3 Gallon gas tank (black)

Tag half waffle grips (red)

Ironman Sprockets (14/48 coming)

DID 520 MX Gold chain (coming)

MORE to follow :cry::cry::cry::cry:

That's their chain for 500cc bikes right? That's what I plan to use after my ERT520 dies, which won't be long. Unless, of course, you have to shim out the countershaft sprocket with this chain too. Then I'll go O-ring.

I tried it and it stretched quickly. It's the strongest non o-ring chain. I went back to the DID X-ring and am happy again.

I just hate the idea of deliberately shimming my driveline off center to make an o-ring work.

That's what I did too. No shim, no rub. I went through almost $300 in trick chains only to have a $60 DID o-ring outlast them all put together. I haven't adjusted the cheap one in four months. It was really maddening to get the right setup.

I tried it and it stretched quickly. It's the strongest non o-ring chain. I went back to the DID X-ring and am happy again.

Are you sure you had the MX? The ERT I have now is stretching but the MX I had before went a month with out adjusting...

I have never used that chain, but Im using the ERV2 right now, the last one I used stretched on the first ride, the maybe a small adjustment here and there, it lasted almost a full year of riding, incredible chain IMO.

I defintely had the MX. I thought it would be the best of both worlds, low friction and no adjustment. It needed constant adjustment. The X-ring hardly ever needs to be adjusted.

OK, it sounds like I made a bad choice. So I should get the DID VM X ring chain instead?

As bad as it is, isn't the DID 520 MX better than the stock chain and the DID 520 ERT?

I'm wondering if we're just splitting hairs here? Thanks for the advice. BTW, isn't ther more than one DID X ring chain? :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think there's actually 2 of them. One is for quads which is a little stronger and the DID VMX which is for bikes.

That's the one I use with no problems, it's gold plated too.

Get the best price then call the TT store. They beat Rocky Mountain by 10%.

As bad as it is, isn't the DID 520 MX better than the stock chain and the DID 520 ERT?

The DID site (sucky site BTW) says the MX has a greater tinsile strength than the ERT - that makes it a pretty strong chain. The X-ring (according to rockymountainmc.com) has a lower tinsile strength than the ERT, but I guess what makes it "stronger" or less "stretchy" is the lube inside.

I've only run the DID ERT and DID X-ring and in all honesty, a well-lubed & often-lubed ERT is a good chain. I ride MX 2-3 days a week and have been happy with the ERT. It's a very low-friction chain as compared to the X-ring. I have a couple X-ring chains sitting on the bench and an ERT on the bike and a spare in the trailer. My preference is low-friction, more adjustment/maintenance & shorter life over the X-ring. But one certainly won't go wrong with the X-ring or MX.

I've been using the EK x ring for awhile and it has held up well with minimal adjustments.... X Rings the way to go if you don't mind the additional weight... :cry: