Sign in to follow this  

TE250 first valve check, all tight

I just checked my valves and could get the .006 under the exhaust valves and neither of the intake valves. Neither of the exhaust would accept the .008. This is after about 2-3 hours ride time. I am glad I checked them.

I don't have a smaller feeler gauge for the intake but I wonder if my .006 exhaust is similar to others by chance. My guess is that the intakes are around .005.

Also, when I pulled the plug, there was a bunch of sand sitting around the spark plug hole and I hope like heck I didn't knock any of it into the cylinder. Is there a simple proven way to get debris out from this area, assuming it has not fallen into the combustion chamber?

Greg

I just checked the clearences on my TE510 yesterday and they were all in on the low spec. I have about 15 hours on the bike. For both the intake and exhaust, they would take the feeler on the low end of the scale (intake - .004, exhaust - .006) but not the feeler on the high end (intake - .006, exhaust - .008). I figure the intake is sitting at .004 - .005 and the exhaust is sitting at .006 - .007 as there was some play at .004 and .006. Sounds like the trend is for the gap to tighten up over time. If I understand correctly, then you gotta replace some shims to open up the gap back up within spec. That will be the next thing to do when the time comes.

On the spark plug grime, I'd see if you could carefully put the plug back in, power spray the engine and maybe blow out that area with compressed air to remove the remaining water. Or leave the plug out and use a shop vac to get in there and suck out the grime. Either way you need to be careful so the stuff won't drop into the combustion chamber and get into the sparkplug threads.

Did you have any trouble using the spark plug socket that comes with the bike?

I couldn't get mine in there as the clearences are too tight as you go up the cylender head. I ended up using a 16mm deep well socket with an extension. It dropped in with no clearence problems.

Good luck on cleaning that grime. Just take your time.

ktl...

Greg. Thats the trouble with riding a sand track. I had to disassemble my fuel petcock and clean it to make it work again. The shop vac idea should work to get the loose stuff out. Do that then replace the sparkplug and thread almost to seat the ring. Shoot some contact cleaner in to break loose the stuck on stuff then use compessed air to blow the whole thing clean and dry. Sand inside the engine is a bad thing.

Had similar trouble with the supplied sparkplug socket unless the valve cover was off. Although I could still slide it in slowly if I had to check a plug. I think the cover gasket squishes out a bit and effects clearance. Good idea about the 16mm socket.

Kleualle,

My 250's shorter stroke probably gives me just enough room to get the plug out easily. That is one advantage to the smaller bike I didn't think about.

Flyred,

As far as getting the sand out of the spark plug area, when the plug is in there at all, I can't even see the sand. Most bikes I have known has some sort of rubber O-ring around the plug but this one doesn't. Since we rode in the same conditions, did you notice any crud in this area on your bike?

I'll try a few things tonight.

Greg

I use a NGK 4-stroke plug cap with my i-CAT. It seald better to the spark plug hole. Also I will remove the plug cap and spray some mild clenear and purg it with low pressure water as the debris will come out the spark plug purg hole under the plug on the cylinder. I think it is normal for the valves to tighten after intial break-in. I check mine after every other ride or so and they have not changed at all in 6 months, so I am very pleased.

MSTex

I wondered what that hole was? A spark plug purge hole; gotta like the sound of that.

It looks like I may need to buy an air compressor today. I suppose I could tape a piece of fuel line to the nozzle of the shop vac and try vacumming the crud out as well. So many options . . .

Greg

I use compressed canned air. The kind you find at Costco or radio shack. I attach the red straw and blast out the area before removing the spark plug. Works every time. :cry:

Husqvarna backwards,

Did Husky ever resolve your dillema?

BTW, last night when I removed the spark plug, the sand was no longer there. Either every single grain dropped into the cylinder while rocking the bike back and forth to get it at TDC, or I imagined it. While rocking the bike I had the plug resting in the hole to keep the sand out but still allow the bike to move back and forth. At the time it seemed reasonable, but now I don't know. THere was still some grime which I cleaned out with a WD-40 moistened Q-tip, but no sand.

I also placed a piece of fuel line against the hole and attached to my shop vac. Hopefully that sucked whatever was in there out of there. I'll try one more vacuum job tonight and then I am going to have to call it good.

If my bike starts to pump out blue smoke tomorrow afternoon, I'll know I really screwed up. I can't believe I let this happen.

Greg

I moved the exhaust shims to the intake and bought two new shims for the exhaust and put her all back together. The bike runs great with the exception of a little hesitation in the mid range. It never had this before but it seems more carbureator related than valves. Maybe all the vacuuming and compressed air spraying I did upset something in the carbureator. Hopefully it will clear up tomorrow after ten or fifteen minutes of ride time.

Heading to Taneum for my first real non-break-in ride!!!!

Greg