can a 426f beat a 250 2smoke?

i was thinking about buying a yz426f.My buddy just bought a Yz250 today. We both have the same rider talent,me maybe a little faster. I would be stepping up from a CR125.I Cant afford a 450,but I want a new 4stroke motocrosser. Is the Yz426F a good choice? Is it faster than a 250 2 smoke? Or do you need some mods on it?

Your talking about two different extremes here...Theres a million factors on which bike is going to be faster...ride both, then buy whatever one you like better. 2 strokes take a whole different riding style than a 4 stroke does. Only way to answer your question is to get out and try them out yourself.

I have blown away plenty of 426 and 450 on my 250. It's rider skill remember???

yammi.jpg

in a drag race or on fast trails the 426 will eat the 2 banger. Tight trails or a slow MX track it's the other way round (rider ability providing). I have both (see sig) and give the 426 the big thumbs up.

The biggest factor is the engine braking. You have ot stay on the gas longer on the 426 or else you'll get passed in the corners. It shuts down fast. Also, as a result, the front becomes heavily weighted and can really wreak havoc in braking bumps. You have to learn to ride it differently. Less coasting.

I have a 92 KX250 and the 426. If we are talking a strip of road where traction is not an issue then the 2 stroke will beat the 4 handily. Sorry , no contest. However since these are DIRT bikes then it is fairly equal. 2 strokes have more wheel spin. ?