Sign in to follow this  

arm pump

Hey I've know this has probable alraedy been touched over and over again, but what I've been riding for about 10 years and I now only get out once a week off rode. I"m getting some pretty good arm pump within the first half an hour of the ride. Are there any exersies that I should be doing or even things that I should be practicing while riding on the road?

Get some spring-loaded hand squeezer excersizers from wal-mart and do that in your spare time. It has helped me immensely. The best way, imho, is to grip the bike mostly with your legs, though.

The best thing you can do is to ride more but I know most of us can't ride everyday. Besides using the the hand gripper thingy which works good try gripping a tennis ball squeeze and hold for a few minutes untill it pumps up. Squeezing and holding is sopposed to work beter than squeezing and relising a bunch of times, i don't know why it just does. Also try to grip the bars a little lighter, somtimes when people ride they tense up and have a death grip on the bars. I run a full diamond grip which have a smaller diameter and helped cut down on arm pump. Renthal makes some. If your bars vibrate alot that can make armpump alot worse. If your bars are vibarating switch to aluminum bars you can also get an anti-vibration bar insert from fasst company basically its just weight. I hope this helps :cry:. I used to get arm pump all the time, its not fun.

Coincidentally, we were just talking about this in the MX Techniques forum. Here's my post from there. :cry:

Try a TT search in the MX Techniques forum on the following words (using the AND option)

open hands

Search back a few months, and you'll get some really good thread hits. Read through those threads to see if they help, and consider also adding hand exercises into your workouts. On my runs, I carry a 4-button Light Tension Gripmaster. That, and learning to balance better and open my hands more pretty much eliminated my "hand pump." -Mike-

I saw on tv where hanging from a pull up bar or such builds up the forearms and helps cut down on armpump. Don't know how much though.

No worries newbie. Welcome to TT! Arm pump is where your arms and hands get worn out quickly from holding on too tightly and supporting your weight too much with your arms, usually on a motocross track. You can get it other places too, but riding MX tracks will bring it out quickly if you aren't doing the right things like balancing your weight on the pegs and riding with open hands as much as you can.

Arm pump comes up a lot when riders try a harder track, or try to ride faster, or get a more powerful bike, or anything that takes you out of your normal comfortable rhythm and puts you "behind the bike" (kind of like being behind the curve on a streetbike or race car). Heck, even the pros sometimes get arm pump if they're having an off day. But it's more common in non-pro riders who are pushing their envelope, and not getting the balance and relaxation stuff quite right. :cry:

Relax your arms, elbows up,and weight on pegs, let the bike flow to and fro. I try to stay as loose as possible. If you tighten up it puts more load on the suspension and you feel like your hanging on instead of riding. Berkeman also makes some excellent points. If your not getting to ride the bike much you might not have a good feel for it. Only time I get a pump it when I change bikes but my legs are always very sore the next day.

Personally I think becoming stronger will just make matters worse if your riding tense.