Sign in to follow this  

Renthal Enduro Hi and Standing Up

I've just fitted Renthal's Enduro Hi bars to the DRZ-S. They're a couple of inches higher than stock but also bend back a bit more. Riding on the street is better all round but I'm having trouble off road. I bought them after reading lots of posts in the Off Road Techniques section saying that higher bars help when standing up if you're a taller rider. I'm 6'0".

The standard bars allowed me to stand, bent forward with head over the front plate but my hands were forward of my thighs. The new bars put my hands farther back so I'm kind of hanging off them, especially on uphill sections. I get real bad arm pump from short rides just through trying to hang on.

Am I doing something wrong here or should I swap out the bars again for something more like the stock bars or a higher bar without the backward bend?

Cheers and sorry if this is a dumb question. Newbies, eh, who lets 'em on here? :cry: :cry:

Ian

I had the same problem with my Desert Bends, I'm 6'3" and the sweep was too much. Arm pump city in just a few miles. Another rider pointed this out to me, so I switched to Jimmy Button Bends which are close to the same height and much less sweep. Problem solved.

Don't think it's your riding technique because whenever I ride someone elses bike and the bars have more sweep I have the same issues. Do you come from a motocross background? I rode moto and think your attack position is different than off-road (woods) and if you find a taller straighter bar I think your problems will go away. :usa:John :cry:

I've just fitted Renthal's Enduro Hi bars to the DRZ-S. They're a couple of inches higher than stock but also bend back a bit more. Riding on the street is better all round but I'm having trouble off road. I bought them after reading lots of posts in the Off Road Techniques section saying that higher bars help when standing up if you're a taller rider. I'm 6'0".

The standard bars allowed me to stand, bent forward with head over the front plate but my hands were forward of my thighs. The new bars put my hands farther back so I'm kind of hanging off them, especially on uphill sections. I get real bad arm pump from short rides just through trying to hang on.

Am I doing something wrong here or should I swap out the bars again for something more like the stock bars or a higher bar without the backward bend?

Cheers and sorry if this is a dumb question. Newbies, eh, who lets 'em on here? :cry::lol:

Ian

you need bar risers :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigDR Bar Risers - I think like $65 - and you will be able to stand up and ride perfectly...also better when sitting down :lol::cry:

I love mine - they raise the bars, and move them foward :cry:

Here is a pic of them on my DRZS with Jimmy Button bars.

Mvc-834f.jpg

One of my better mods I have done - and not very expensive....but a great mod :cry: :cry:

Thanks y'all. I'll see if I can get risers here in the UK and, if not, I'll go to straight bars.

There's a real difference in parts available for DRZs here in Europe and in the US. I imported my Unabiker rad guards and I'm glad I did because there's nothing as good over here. But CRD are a French company (the frogs really like their SMs) and make some seriously good stuff that you maybe don't get over there. My CRD bash plate is awesome - uses the original skid plate mounts and is made of welded, shaped, 1/8" ally plate.

Thanks again

Ian

Hey HZRDOS,

Were there any issues with throttle cable lengths with this setup? I've got the bar risers and want to get the Jimmy Button bars but feared the cables would be too short... Did you re-route them?

Thanks!

Dirtman,

Where did you change the routing? Just around the handlbars or did you have to pull the tank and change things closer to the carb?

Thanks for your input....

I have the Jimmy Buttons and BigDR risers. I didn't reroute the cables, just turned the throttle assy 180 degrees so the cables are on the underside. Everything works great.

I have the Jimmy Buttons and BigDR risers. I didn't reroute the cables, just turned the throttle assy 180 degrees so the cables are on the underside. Everything works great.

Thats what I did - notice in my pic you can see the throttle tube is rotated 180 degrees. Just remove the front break master cylinder next to the throttle, loosen the throttle tube nust, rotate and tighten back up - put the master cylinder back on - done :cry: :cry:

Takes about 5 minutes :cry: :cry:

plenty of slack in the cables now