Sign in to follow this  

Shimming the needle?

I rejetted recently but did not shim the needle. One reason why is I couldn't figure out exactly how to do it. I've read all the posts about it but I'm still confused as to exactly WHERE you put the shim washers. Do they sit at the bottom of that plastic sleeve and the needle slides through them? I'm running pretty dang lean right now--lots of popping on deceleration. Will the shimming fix this?

Thanks.

A needle shim washer goes directly under the E-clip. It is a way to fine tune a carb where one clip position is too much and the other is not enough. Most rider do not go to this extreme in tuning.

If you put a shim under the clip it will raise the needle. This pulls it out of the needle jet slightly. The effect is to slightly richen the mixture for the mid-throttle positions. This is a fairly common adjustment after an exhaust change.

I should have mentioned that this is a DRZ125. Not sure it has an "e-clip." If it does, I don't know what that is, so I'm still a bit confused as to where the shim goes.

Aha. That's very helpful. So I just slide a washer or two between that clip and the needle, right? Thanks so much for your help.