Rego laws in the US

As a newby I been doing a lot of catch up reading. I notice a lot of questions re: derestricting bikes once you get them home. Without trying to sound like a smart_ss, why dont you get the basic mods done pre delivery? Here in Australia, you'd be dissapointed if you picked the bike up and it wasn't already breathing freely. When I picked up my DRZ400E, it rolled out of the workshop with airbox mods, dynojet, Yoshi RS3 SS full system, and the tail light assembly replaced with a neat little acerbis one, no indicators, Barkbuster Ego hand gaurds and a UFO headlight. As it was loaded onto the trailer I was handed my rego papers,a copy of the roadworthy and a box full of the OE parts. I have had similar with every bike I've owned. It obviously cost extra for the mods on this one, but generally speaking the usual breath easy mods are free as part of the pre delivery. Are the laws over there a factor for dealers who modify pre delivery?

We have the laws, but in the bush as long as the bike is registered and you are licensed, little or no fuss is made about mods. If I plan to ride street I put the indicators and mirrors back on, but thats it. Pulled over for a breath test a couple of times, never a word about the mods. Over here, for now atleast, as long as you're not making a total ass out of yourself and the bike isn't obscenely noisy(compared to the harleys here, the RS3 is like the bike is whispering), it's all good.

In the US it is quite confusing. For a motor vehicle to be sold in the US for road use it must comply with federal standards of safety and exhaust emissions. It is illegal for a dealer to modify the motor vehicle so that it no longer complies. Then there is the real world. Enforcement is at the state level and every state has different laws and level of enforcement. Harly Davidson motorcycles are very often modified by the dealers pre delivery to levels that no longer comply.????!!!! Dealers sell all kinds of aftermarket products for all motorcycles that get installed by dealers and owners that compromise compliance.-- No enforcement in most states. Some states even allow non federal certified vehicles (dirt bikes, quads, etc) to be registered for road use. Some states will not allow it even if the motorcycle is fully modified to meet road use equipment regulations. Some states don't even title off road bikes. States have different operator and insurance requirements. So it is a mixed bag. Every state is different. Most any dirt bike in most any state can be modified by the dealer pre delivery with out consequences. Most any street bike in most states can be modified pre delivery by the dealer if the dealer is willing to take the risk. That varies a lot from dealer to dealer and state to state. Then there are the loop holes for taxes that vary state to state. And if the vehicle must to be registered in the state of owner residence and on and on.