Sign in to follow this  

Motorcyclists are organ donors

Check this link out on AMA's website:

AMA Article

If you feel like letting the Chicago Sun Times know how you feel about this article the reporters email address in on the bottom of the article.

Here is my email to Neil as well as the ama and Sun Times editor:

After seeing this article I found it to be unture and ill informed. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous, but so is driving a car. It is too bad that this article will no doubt reach many people and possibly taint their view of motorcyclists. Your statement:"Why are there many more heart transplants performed in the summer than in the winter? - Motorcycles" holds little or no value as there is nothng to back it up? This is strictly your biased opinion. Accidents do happen but the fact that you find humor in the loss of a human life does not speak very highly of you as a person or your paper.

Regards

Jeff Bates

Motorcyclist, 0 donated organs

My email to the author:

Please write about what you know and understand. That’s responsible journalism. Your recent article about motorcyclists being organ donors is based upon your fears, not the facts. This is demonstrated by your statement that you’ve daydreamed about getting a motorcycle but abandon the thought when you think about hitting "the twig, or pothole, or whatever" that would "send me flipping into the guardrail, the flash of which would be my last sight on Earth." I won’t explain why this statement is ridiculous, as someone with no motorcycling experience wouldn’t understand. Yes, motorcycling contains an element of danger, but so does driving a car, riding a bicycle and life in general. I’ve been riding for well over 20 years and I can assure you that I’m alive and well. Don’t you have some Islamic Terrorists to pick on or something? Geez…

Regards,

Bryan G. Bosch

President/CEO

ThumperTalk, Inc.

http://www.thumpertalk.com

bryan.bosch@thumpertalk.com

I sent MR. Neil my thoughts:

Email Title: You are an ass -> Re: Motorcycle Orgon-donors

"Do you always run around with diarha mouth? Being that you work for such a large prestigious publication you would think someone like you would have a clue before you opened your friken Pi-Hole."

Signed:

John Osborne

119 East Ross Avenue

Cary, IL 60013

john_osborne@ameritech.net

Age = 43

Years involved in motorcycling = 30

Years racing competetivly = 25

Orgons donated so far = 0

Kiss my ass.

:cry:

Steinberg added: "Besides, there are already too many dumpy middle-aged guys racing on motorcycles, dreaming they're something they're not."

At least we arent sitting behind a laptop shoving a donut down our gullets while pissing and moaning in jelousy.

I sent MR. Neil my thoughts:

Email Title: You are an ass -> Re: Motorcycle Orgon-donors

"Do you always run around with diarha mouth? Being that you work for such a large prestigious publication you would think someone like you would have a clue before you opened your friken Pi-Hole."

Signed:

John Osborne

119 East Ross Avenue

Cary, IL 60013

john_osborne@ameritech.net

Age = 43

Years involved in motorcycling = 30

Years racing competetivly = 25

Orgons donated so far = 0

Kiss my ass.

:cry:

And Mr. Dil-hole himself has already responded to me:

"Dear John Osborne:

Yes.

Thanks for writing."

Wow, that was really deep. :cry:

Here is Steinberg's actual article: from Sun TImes

Neil Steinberg

Hop on a motorcycle, fill out your donor card

September 22, 2004

BY NEIL STEINBERG SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Opening shot

Why are there many more heart transplants performed in the summer than in the winter?

It's one of my favorite brain teasers, good to toss out at parties. It almost always stumps people. I like to give them a moment to think hard, squirm, then give up, before I spring the answer -- so obvious in retrospect:

Motorcycles.

You can't have heart transplants without donors, and motorcycles -- ridden in the summer but not in the winter -- are a great source of fresh, young, otherwise healthy organs.

Motorcycles are in the news. Another speeding maniac died in Chicago Monday, and officials say the death rate is up nationwide.

I can see why. Motorcycles have romantic appeal. Even supremely cautious guys like myself cast envious glances. Harley-Davidson motorcycles are beautiful. And like a lot of men, daydreaming as I shuffle through my numbing daily routine, the part of my brain that isn't already dead, but is desperately groping for some way to spice up what is left of my life, thinks: "I could buy a Harley.''

No sooner do I conjure up the image of Hog King Neil, racing his bike down the open road, "Born to Be Wild" blaring on my personal soundtrack, than it is replaced by the twig, or pothole, or whatever would send me flipping into the guardrail, the flash of which would be my last sight on Earth.

Besides, there are already too many dumpy middle-aged guys racing on motorcycles, dreaming they're something they're not.

Please pardon the mad overtones that will be found throughout this letter, but I am not ashamed to admit that even Mr. Neil Steinberg must concede that there is a political agenda behind the "cynicism is the only alternative to anarchism" malarkey. In the rest of this letter, I will use history and science (in the Hegelian sense) to prove that such conduct as Mr. Steinberg's induced the despotism of Cromwell and the two Bonapartes. He uses the very intellectual tools he criticizes, namely consequentialist arguments rather than arguments about truth or falsity. He does not tolerate any view that differs from his own. Rather, Mr. Steinberg discredits and discards those people who contradict him along with the ideas that they represent.

All the same, given the amount of misinformation that he is circulating, I must unmistakably point out that I do not have the time, in one sitting, to go into the long answer as to why he once told his stooges, "Hey, let's all go out and exhibit a deep disdain for all people who are not hostile sensualists!" (or words to that effect). But the short answer is that some people are responsible and others are not. Mr. Steinberg falls into the category of "not". Even if dangerous vendors of priggism join Mr. Steinberg's band with the best of intentions, they will still criticize other people's beliefs, fashion sense, and lifestyle in a lustrum or two. Not all, I hasten to add, do join with the best of intentions. I honestly wouldn't want to pooh-pooh the concerns of others. I would, on the other hand, love to restore the ancient traditions that Mr. Steinberg has abandoned. But, hey, I'm already doing that with this letter.

Several things he has said have brought me to the boiling point. The statement of his that made the strongest impression on me, however, was something to the effect of how the moon is made of green cheese. I sometimes joke about how a great many thoughtful people share my concerns about Mr. Steinberg. But seriously, if my memory serves me correctly, if I hear Mr. Steinberg's habitués say, "Governments should have the right to lie to their own subjects or to other governments" one more time, I'm going to throw up. I close this letter along the same lines it opened on: Mr. Neil Steinberg's principles are grounded in phony acts of kindness.

Huero

Here is my E-mail:

I and the 7 million or so motorcycle riders take offense to your article. What would ever compel you to make such a assumption? Are there no automobile accidents that are donors also?? Boating accidents? Jet-skiing? Walking? Jogging? Bicycle riders who take up the whole street? Basically all sorts of activities that increase during summer months could attribute to the increase of transplants. Your article fails to address the fact that it’s people like you who drive their $50,000 excursions and escalades that cause these problems. Put the coffee cup and cell phone down and actually pay attention to the 2 ton vehicle your driving and as to what is going on around you. Or at least tell you wife too with the 3 screaming kids in the back. Maybe then, by your rational, would there be less organ donors since we would quit getting sideswiped by you idiots.

Also who the fu*k are you to say this???

"Besides, there are already too many dumpy middle-aged guys racing on motorcycles, dreaming they're something they're not."

I’m 29 years old 6’7 and 250 lbs and in great shape. So why don’t you keep pushing down those doughnuts and burgers at your desk. I’ve seen your article’s before and your pictures. Looks like you should go back to your perfect little IKEA house with your little lap dog and turn on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Apparently life is a little too exciting for you to actually live so you post a stupid article like this out there to compensate for your lack of balls. Get a f-ing clue.

So why don’t you keep pushing down those doughnuts and burgers at your desk. I’ve seen your article’s before and your pictures. Looks like you should go back to your perfect little IKEA house with your little lap dog and turn on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Apparently life is a little too exciting for you to actually live so you post a stupid article like this out there to compensate for your lack of balls. Get a f-ing clue.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I disagree with this chump but it's common lingo used in hospitals in my area at least. My wife has worked in several ER's and they have always called motorcycle victims "organ donors". Not that it matters but I assume this is pretty common language in most hospitals\ERs.

I remember something about a law being passed that if you choose not to wear a helmet you HAVE to be a donor. Check it out..

CLICKY

My email:

I am a motorcyclist, I am also a registered organ donor. I hope that the end of my life could save another. Until then I'm going to live my life unafraid of the tradgedies that COULD befall me.

I'm surprised so many take this personally. It's really a factual question. Either motorcycles are more dangerous than, say cars, or they are not. I'm sure someone could come up with an answer, based on fatalities per mile or per hour.

I suspect motorcycles probably are more dangerous than cars. That doesn't prove that EVERY motorcyclist is more dangerous than EVERY auto driver. On the other hand, to say, "I've been driving motorcycles for X years without an accident ..." also doesn't prove anything about either group.

Of course people can die in cars, just like with motorcycles. The question is, do they die more often on motorcycles? And if they do, so what?

As long as someone isn't advocating to take away my right to kill myself, I'm not offended if they choose to point out that I engage in a dangerous activity. If motorcyclists donate more than their share of organs, let the facts come out. If it's true, I'd say we embrace it as a testimony of the generosity and good-nature of motorcyclists.

Besides, there are already too many dumpy middle-aged guys racing on motorcycles, dreaming they're something they're not.

Sounds like our buddy Neal lost a girlfriend or wife to some racer guy. :cry: It is a little to descriptive and not commonly known that middle-aged guys race motorcycles.

Neals a weenie.

I know I'm new to the board and don't even own a dirt bike (Yet) but I do own a Harley and have done a lot of street riding. There is some truth to the story. There is also some common sence things left out too. Here are a few examples.

#1. They might get motorcycle organs faster because there is no "cage" to cut them away from. AKA: Still fresh.

#2. Summer time is when most people vacation with their children. AKA: Not paying attention to the road.

#3. Dumb a$$ city workers that don't know how to fill a pot hole! AKA: Over the bars.

#4. Loud a$$ stero systems in cars/trucks! AKA: Paying attention to their tunes instead of the road.

I suppose I could go on and on about this. Bottom line, LIVE LIFE!!!!!!!!!! We're only here one time....... :cry:

I'm surprised so many take this personally. It's really a factual question. Either motorcycles are more dangerous than, say cars, or they are not.

It's not that we (ok, I'm speaking for others now-- sorry) take it personally based on the facts. As safe and lucky as I've been on my bikes, I wholly concede that in relation to other forms of travel it's more dangerous. I'm not disputing this.

What I took offense to (although, admittedly I partially attacked him for generalizing) was really the fact that his articles, including this one, are supposed to be ironic and humorous. I don't think anyone dying (whether an organ doner or not) doing something that they love to do is particularly funny- especially when the funnies being told are by an outsider (read: non-motorcyclist). So, maybe I have my own prejudice here-- WE can make fun if we want, but with no experience as a biker, his (Neil Steinberg's) comments would best be kept to himself. Unless, of course, he's LOOKING to offend people (which I think this guy enjoys).

So, I don't think we'll find any retraction or apology from him anytime soon.

Exactly, it was his glib attitude that offended me, you can almost picture him clapping his pudgy little hands together with delight as his 'cocktail party guests' puzzle over his 'delightful little brain teaser'.

I sent him an email politely asking if he actually has any factual data to support his conclusion that the relationship is causal. No response so far, and I don't expect one since I'm sure the answer is no. Just because two facts are correlated doesn't necessarily mean that one causes the other. An example only a little more stupid than Steinberg's is "sales of ice cream during the summertime increase dramatically. Shark attacks also increase, therefore it must be true that beachgoers eating more ice cream causes them to be bitten by sharks, perhaps because they taste sweeter".