Sign in to follow this  

Blue vs Red Loctite

Can somebody provide a quick rundown of where I should use blue loctite, where I should use red loctite, and where I should absolutely not use any loctite? I've read that the red loctite is recommended for the CS sprocket nut, but do not know where else I should use it.

As for where not to put loctite, I'm looking for the less obvious places. I realize that things that are supposed to move should not have loctite on them, so please don't tell me not to put it on the chain...or on the seat right before I sit down :cry:.

Blue loctite is for threadlocking. Red loctite is called a retaining compound and is more difficult to remove.

You can use blue on just about any threaded connection. Use red at your own risk on threaded fasteners that you may never want to service in the field. You can service pretty much anything in the shop, but with limited tools in the field, you may not get some red loctited joints apart.

Loctite breaks down about 500F or so. It is possible to remove any fastener or loctite bonded joint with a little heat. This can be applied with a torch or with electric current through the bolt or nut.

I agree with all the above.

Check out the green after assmebly locktight to. I think the name tells it all and you can remove it when you have to.

In the old days we used to put a dab of colored fingernail polish on everything so when you stopped for a break along the trail you could easily see if something was loosening up. I suppose in addition to being a spotter it held a little also.

my rule of thumb.........

red on anything that rotates.

sprocket bolts/nuts,brake rotor bolts,rotating engine fastners etc. :cry:

Ever taste blue or red loctite? its kind of sweet. Not on purpose ofcourse, its just if your lockin down a bunch of stuff it gets on your hands and if you happen to lick that cut you just got on your finger. well you taste loctite. :cry:

That's probably the cyanide. Loctite use cyano acrylate in a lot of their adhesives and threadlocks.

Don't eat too much of it, will ya? :cry:

Ian

Ever taste blue or red loctite? its kind of sweet. Not on purpose ofcourse, its just if your lockin down a bunch of stuff it gets on your hands and if you happen to lick that cut you just got on your finger. well you taste loctite. :cry:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: