Sign in to follow this  

[@#$%&*!] head light

How can I get a better headlight on my XR 400 2001 model, there is no battery , its all off the alternator. so I can't exceed 35 watts? can I ?

Upgrade to the glass lens with a 55 watt bulb. It will dim at idle but work OK once you're riding. Otherwise, get that stator rewound. I put a 100 watt bulb in and it's nice.

please excusse my ignorance but what is a stator and how do I rewind it, I'm english by the way, do thet call it something else over here?

The stator (alternator) generates the power for spark and lights.

Here's some info:web page

You could buy one already wound for more power from Ricky Stator

I'm sure they can ship anywhere.

For the price of a pre built one vs a self rewinding job I would go for a prebuilt one hands down. My fingers were killing me after I got done rewinding mine.

The stock stator is rated at 80W I believe. The tail light is 5W. So you should be able to run a 55W headlight bulb no problem. Anything more than that and you'll need to have a higher output stator. When you start getting up towards the 100W bulbs you really should go with the glass lens kit from Baja Designs, as the higher watt bulbs get pretty hot(especially the halogen ones) for the stock plastic lens.

quetion, when you rewind stator do you have to change the voltage regulator? i have a baja designes d/s kit on my xr400.

No. The Baja Designs comes with two outputs of 120 watts one is for the headlight only and the other is for everything else. You do need to get a relay so you can switch the high and low beam.