Sign in to follow this  

Things to look for when buying a 2002 CRF 450

I have started shipping for a used 2002 CRF 450 and wondered if there is anything unique to this model year of CRF I should watch out for. I'm looking at the 2002 because I'm in California and I want it to have a Green Sticker.

Tom -

I just bought one about a month ago. Search on the forum, there are a few threads about this, specific to the CRF450 of course. I would look for items like:

* Cracks in the cases near the drain bolts

* You might ask "how many foot-pounds do you torque those drain bolts to?", to find out if the owner guessed or used a torque wrench

* If the owner has ever dropped it on the right, and hadn't ground off some teeth from the brake pedal, the pedal likely punctured the clutch cover. Usually the fix is to epoxy the hole - and that's fine.

* Get the seller to agree not to start it that day. You want to start it from dead cold.

* History of valve maintenance

* There is a rumor that breaking-in the engine too easily (initial run-in, initial hours that is) leads to ring problems. You might search on this

* Did it pass a sound level check? You probably know to look for the round sticker ontop of the CA green sticker

* Spark arrestor

* Do the VIN number (frame) and engine number match what is on the pink slip?

* Is the eighth (or is it tenth?) digit of the VIN the right one to ensure a green sticker? If not it might be a Canadian import. People seem to have had mixed results getting those registered and green-stickered.

* Next time I buy a used bike I'm going to ask to take the seat off and look at the air filter. My seller maintained his in top shape, but if your seller left it dirty that does not bode well for you.

* and ask the usual question, "How often does a bike like this need its oils changed?" :-)

Good luck! There are many excellent 450s out there.

Email me if you want a pointer to one I considered; I think it's still available.

seanmedina1900

(at)

yahoo.com

+sean

I agree with asking about oil change chedule, valve service, clean air box, etc. You should also look for cracked frame/subframe. Also, '02's had a tough time with sealing of the airbox to the carb boot. You should look for and ask if they did anything to re-seal it (PC Kit, re-glue, etc.) If not, I would be very cautios about buying it. All of those questions will easily give you more than enough information to tell if the owner knows his stuff. If you're interested in a trip to CO, I have a fantastic '02 for sale as soon as my '05 comes in. (I'm first on the list at a dealer here and they say late this week or early next)

--MXFanatic

tom, I am in southern california and will be putting my bike(original owner/green sticker) for sale in the next few weeks. I never had any valve issues, I just put an 04 piston in, but the 02 piston looked great. Price will vary greatly, I have works kit forks, and a bunch of parts I can take off of the bike to lower the price. pierre@bipack.com

I just put mine on the for sale forum. It is green stickered through 06.

Are you not able to get a '03 "green stickered"? If so, I like it over the '02 (I've owned both) as a used bike purchase. Improved handling, improved (greatly) airbox/filter, 10mm longer shifter, better power (IMO), etc, etc.

Best of luck with whatever you buy.

Are you not able to get a '03 "green stickered"? If so, I like it over the '02 (I've owned both) as a used bike purchase. Improved handling, improved (greatly) airbox/filter, 10mm longer shifter, better power (IMO), etc, etc.

Best of luck with whatever you buy.

Nope. 2002 and earlier only. Occasionally people are given green stickers for 03 but then the DMV figures out its mistake and reissues a red sticker.

I suspect that the 05 CRF450X will qualify for low emissions so it can get a green sticker. I think that is covered in another thread somewhere.

+sean

Something else to look at when buying any used aluminum-framed bike is cronic wear spots. CRF450s are notorious for having both the radiator shrouds and the gas tank wear into the frame . Scope it out carefully...