Sign in to follow this  

Alluminium Throttle Tubes?

Hey Guys,

Do the aluminum throttle tubes make any difference?

I don't need more power, or faster throttle response - but my throttle always feels a little sloppy.

I do adjust the cables for less play back and forth, but the throttle seems to move around side to side and all.

So I was wondering if the aluminium ones are more solid and precise feeling?

Thanks,

Kirk

They are much more solid and precise feeling. They also hold up much better in a crash. I love mine. They are so much smoother than stock that it actually took a few laps to adjust to the new feeling. :cry:

Thanks Dovii,

I think I will give it a try.

I am always a little hesitant to put trick parts that offer no real improvement, especially since I am just another slow old guy on a CRF (well to the kids anyways) - but the slop and free play in the throttle tube really bugs me sometimes.

Kirk

I found that there is a lot more dust build up inside the throttle tube with aluminum. That lead to a sluggish feeling on the throttle. I just ended up carrying an extra stock tube. And in three years of riding, never needed it.

Actually, aluminum throttle tubes provide no benefits over stock other than they will not crack or break in a crash. They do tend to build up more residue than stock, which needs to be cleaned more often. Stock throttle tubes will provide a smoother, action than aluminum.

I am not worried too much about breakage in a crash (other than my body parts) - and the smoothness of the action is fine on my stock plastic one.

I was just thinking it may not have as much free play or slop in it, but if it is the same as stock on the aluminium ones - then I guess I will just live with it.

Kirk

This might be anal to some but I prefer the aluminum tube for several reasons. Crash damage is the first and most important one. Having the throttle stick is not a healthy result due to a smashed plastic throttle tube.

Here's the anal part: Before you install your alum tube, sand/polish your bar perfectly smooth. On the throttle side of your bars, take some clear RTV silicone and make a plug by squirting it into the end of the bar so it forms a complete plug and let dry. Then, when your confident that the bars and the inside of the throttle tube is clean, clean, clean, apply some grease on the surface of the bar and install.

The silicone plug will ensure that any dirt that might get in there from the OTHER side (clutch side) of the bars won't find its way to the throttle. The grease will ensure that aluminum on aluminum won't gall. And the throttle is factory mechanic perfect all the time!

You might think this is anal and I'd partially agree but anyone that has experienced a stuck throttle will appreciate it! Hope this helps :cry:

I have an aluninum tube and like it I use spray dry graphite for lube on it it really works and stays clean.

I truly believe the opposite that plastic throttle tubes dont twist as easy as a clean aluminum one. i have the billet moose tube and just dissemble every couple rides which takes only five minute, spray contact cleaner and clean out and then spray some cable lube on all of it and then wipe that off leaving a slight coat and it twist like a well lube bearing.

Get the Pro-Taper tube, it has a bearing in the end which makes the pull very very easy and smooth! :cry:

I agree with 1dustries in regards to the aluminum units being more smooth than stock plastic. After switching to a Works Connection tube, the throttle was so smooth that I had to get use to landing jumps with the throttle on. I had a hard time hanging onto the throttle at first because it felt like I was going to come off the back of the bike. Once I adjusted to this it was not a problem anymore. I aslo agree that the aluminum models require more maintenance to keep them turning smoothly, but the crash protection is great. Nothing worse than having a day at the track ruined due to something like a crushed throttle tube or broken lever!

Ditto Thumper 38,

I've got the Pro Taper tube with the roller bearing in the end of it and it is like butter...........

Took awhile to get used to, but man is it smooth.

I'm surprised by a couple of the responses. For me it was brutally obvious that the aluminum tube was much slicker than the stock plastic. So much so that (as someone else mentioned) it took some getting used to over jumps 'n bumps. I've had mine for a couple of months without having to disassemble for cleaning. :cry:

I did polish up the handlebar before the install and used genuine Honda white lithium grease. Maybe this made the difference. :cry:

I completely recommend them. :cry: