Sign in to follow this  

Starting Question for a 2002 CRF450

2002 CRF450 WAS GETING HARD TO START AND YOU COULD FILL IT DID NOT HAVE MUCH COMPRESSION WHEN YOU WOULD KICK IT.

IF YOU PUSH IT AND DUMP THE CLUTCH IT FIRES RIGHT UP AND RUNS WELL.

I PULLED THE VALVE COVER AND BOTH EXHAUST VALVES WERE SET TO SPECS. THE LEFT INTAKE HAD -0- CLEARANCE AND THE RIGHT INTAKE HAD ABOUT .001 CLEARANCE. I ADJUSTED BOTH INTAKES AND CHECKED THE COMPRESSION RELIEF ADJUSTMENT. THE COMPRESSION IS BACK UP BUT STILL NO START. I COULD SMELL RAW GAS WHEN I WOULD KICK IT.

I PULLED THE SPARK PLUG AND GROUNDED IT AND THERE IS NO SPARK. BUT IF PUSH IT, APPARENTLY I WILL PRODUCE SPARK AND RUN. IS THERE ANYTHING THEY ARE NOTORIOUS FOR BEFORE IT START THE DIAG PROCESS. I HAVE THE METERS TO CHECK STUFF WITH BUT I DONT HAVE ANY SPECS OR PROCEDURES. HEEELLLP, THIS THING IS TO HEAVY TO PUSH START.

I would look at the coil and all wiring connections. I know there is a check to see if the coil is shot, I just don't know what the heck it is. You could take a resistance reading on your coil then measure a good one on another bike or one at the dealer for comparison sake. Pull all the electrical connections apart and clean then re-assemble with some dielectric grease. Also remove and clean all the ground connections (where the wires are bolted to some part of the frame), if you you get corrosion in there or dirty connections will weaken your spark as will a bad coil. The next alternative is the magneto. Have you installed a new spark plug? Just because the bike's frame is aluminum doesn't mean you won't get corrosion. Intergranular corrosion happens whenever there is dis-similar metals like copper to aluminum that are in constant contact, which is what your ground wires are. I think I would put in a new plug, check ALL your connections and if it still isn't firing up, check the coil then the magneto.