Sign in to follow this  

metric american tire conversion

I saw a king 4.60 dual sport tire today at a bike shop and was wondering how that compares to my 400E knobby that is stock 110/100?

If I mount it I can't return it.

Any help would be gratefull as I want to try it out Friday.

thanks!

So that would be a bit bigger. Like 3.5MM per side correct?

I suppose that would be ok don't ya think?

Tire size conversion is a funny thing. Nothing makes sense. A 4:00 X 18 is approx 4 inches wide. No aspect ratio means it is 100. (side wall height is the same as width) A 110/100 X 18 is approx 110mm wide with an aspect ratio of 100 (side wall height is the same as width). A 4:60 X 18 oddly enough is not 4.6 inches wide and does not have an aspect ratio of 100. Before the aspect ratio system of marking it as a percentage of height was developed, the "odd size" system was used. A 4:10 is smaller than a 4:00 and a 4:60 is smaller than a 4:50 and both 4:10 and 4:60 are low profile. Then add in the tolerances that each manufacture uses on tire size and tires can and do vary considerably in size from brand to brand.

A 4:60 X 18 should fit fine on a DRZ. It is some where around 110 mm wide with a lower than 100 profile. 110, 120, and many 130 wide tires fit fine on the DRZ. Generally a tire that has been mounted can not be returned unless it is the shops fault that sold it to you. You pays your money and takes your chances.

To much information :cry: Now I am aprehensive but I think I will give it a shot.

I found a site while I was waiting.

http://www.motorcyclesuperstore.com/item.aspx?style=5000&department=647&Division=6

It's $53.95 at the local bike shop so I think I will show my support. Not to mention it is much easier to decide when it is in your hand. I think I will try a chen sing front that has a similar pattern. I will report back with my opinion in a few days I hope.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Yup it sure does and I wanna give it a try.

I rode my dual sport everywhere when I was a kid back in the 70's. I am tired of buzzing down the road and ducking down side streets when I see a cop.

I never was a track guy. More the type that likes to go sight seeing in the woods or a mountain top. I also avoid mudd when I can.

Anyway, I got a few more questions. I mounted up the tires same way I do my dirt tires. Plenty of baby powder, air them up and then let it out to let the tube seat and such.

Well I take it for a test drive and my teeth are rattling, come home and put on the stand and spin. The front one is out at the rim lock and the rear has a high spot on the side.

Then I remember that the S model doesn't even have rim locks. I let the air out and completly loosen the rim lock and air it up to 50lbs. Then just snug the rim lock. Do the same with the rear. It is still a lumpy ride at about 45MPH.

I put a balance weight opposite of the front rim lock and have both front and rear at 15 lbs.

Am I doing something wrong? There nylon tires. Is there some break in procedure? I have never had this much trouble before.

Any help or advice would sure be welcome.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance... :cry:

Since you established that you are not interested in aggressive performance, I would have left out the rim locks. The stock S did not need them. I still don't run them with my 606s and I do ride somewhat aggressive. No problems yet.

What tire pressure do you run?

I am used to running between 12 and 15 lbs and never had a pinch flat or anything.

I guess I will leave the rim locks in for this weekend.

I am running 14/47 so don't have much top end anyway.

Thanks for the input...

Any other comments are welcome to guys.

It's nice to see some of the old names are still around here. :cry: