Sign in to follow this  

New Here

Let me start by giving my back ground. I ride sportbikes. I race with CMRRA on go cart tracks. I use and Aprilia RS50 for that. I pitted next to some guys racing with their XR-100. I thought that I would give that a try and just got one. I dont even have it yet, its being shipped. I have never ridden dirt so this is all new. Its going to be nice to have a 4-stroke and not deal with all the jetting issues with my Aprilia.

This leads me to my problem. I dont know anything about these bikes or how to race them. ( I had this same problem with my 2-stroke. Never been on one and just started racing it. I love it, but I like to try new things.)

What I was told by the guys racing the xr-100 was that I needed 17" wheels. Also the tripple clamp to go with that. I would think I need advice on a pick of tires and where to get the rims and tripple. Any advice at all would be great. To get a feel of the tracks and what Im doing, you can go to www.turn2sportbikes.com click on Racing, and im under CMRRA. I am the only one racing that so its just my pictures and race reports.

Thanks so much.

:cry:

hey there, and WELCOME!

First, regarding racing the XR100 in supermoto...you don't "need" 17's. Unless the clubs rules dictate otherwise. The triple clamp will help stabilize/stiffen the front end, but again, it's not "needed".

Just run it...and have fun!

Funny, the first time I race supermoto was on a borrowed XR100 (thanks Ron & Kurt :cry:)

The hook was set and here I am one year later running a KTM 525.

BTW...your site looks great...looks like you all are having a blast!

I think you'll have a blast on that xr. Running a bike that doesn't have a lot of power and crap suspension will make you a better rider.

I'll have to stop by some Tuesday night as I just moved to Pasadena. Miss my cafe motorcycle buddies in San Diego. I'm waiting for for my new wheels(525 KTM).

The club (Turn2sportbikes) is a wonderful bunch of people. Everyone lives to ride. We have people that ride dirt/street, and now we are racing pocket bikes. It's a sickness. Check out the pocket bike section. lol. It's all offical. lol

You should come by the bike night. It would be nice to meet you.

Contact Frank Nye ( he's located in Campbell, Ca )at Engines only (408) 374-4298. He can help you out with any questions you may have on your XR100. He specializes in them. He built the motor on my 95 XR100R. I am really happy with what he has done to my motor and with the other products he sells. :cry: :cry:

Welcome to the board. I think you'll find everyone here to be really cool. Here is my 2 cents if you want to get involved in riding/racing supermoto.

1) Go to the SuperTT race at Grange on Oct 10 and look at all the bikes in the small bike classes. Ask questions and take notes. Everyone there will be really cool and answer every question- I gaurantee it.

2) Take that XR100 to the desert and ride it in the dirt till the knobbies are worn off! Since you've never ridden in the dirt- that will be the hardest thing to get used to Every street rider who has never ridden in dirt can learn more bike control in one weekend in the dirt than can learn in 6 months on the pavement. Since the bike is already set up for the dirt, you might as well take advantage of that for a few months.

3) Take your notes from step one and set your bike up for super moto and head to the track for practice. Be warned because you will become hooked and your family will start to worry about you.

4) Go to the supertt.com website and find out when the next race is you can attend once you feel dialed on the practice track.

5) Marvel at yourself and how you have doubled your motorbiking skills in such a short time.

6) Realize you are one of the many Supermoto converts and pay no attention to the fact you now post on Thumper Talk 3-4 times per day.

7) Start saving your money because after 4-5 races on the XR you will be wanting a new CRF 250 supermoto style.

8) Change your screen name to "FootOutBackingItInChick" :cry:

9) Live happily ever after! :cry:

I think Chuck is right you will be ready for a CRF250 with 17 wheels soon. You road race so that bike would suit you. But that XR100 is a lot of fun so go ride the wheels off it!! :cry:

Darrick

Thanks everyone. I have been reading post and trying to learn more about this sport. As soon as my bike comes in, I will take it out and give it a try. Should make for a good post on here. LOL

Derrick, My family name is Lucchesi. It was cool to see that name and to find out your a good rider. :cry:

Hey whats up. Glad to see you over here :cry:. I am Hybrid-rs50 from Mototek and Apriliaforum. Good luck with the XR it will be a blast :cry: