Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of a thumper???

OK,

I have a kx125 and my dad has a wr400, i like the low end hit of a thumper, i ride alot of woods.

I am only 5'6" and i want a thumper, but not quite as fast as the 400.

I have been riding for ten years now, done a few harescrambles and go riding every other weekend with my dad and friends.

I hear the klx 300 is a nice, semi light, dependable trail bike, i'm thinking of picking one up used.

Do you guys think this would be a good bike after coming off a 125, i don't mind the weight, but would it be a lot slower then my bike, or with the free mods are they decent compared to a two smoke?

thanks to all that reply

i would think in a woods situation you would be faster on the klx then a 125(i know i am). if you wanted to take it motocrossing then you would be slower on the klx... but with the amount of usuable power this bike makes you'll be faster in the woods. if you buy it used there is a good chance it will have some mods on it. the klx is a great bike for casual trail riding.

I've just recently purchased the '05 KLX300.

It's an awesome bike. I ride trails every weekend. It's quick enough for me by far. I'm 5'8" 200lbs. If I have one complaint, It's that the stock exhaust is not the best.

For a trail bike I don't think you can go wrong.

My bike is currently all stock - but will be adding upgrades.

Thanks guys,

how do they do in deep woops?

i'm thinking if i buy one i might need gold valves,and some springs,

i'm 5'6" 135 pounds,

and i am racing district 14 harescrambles next year, are they pretty easy to start when hot?

thanks

For your weight, you will want to replace the shock spring with a lighter one and install a Gold Valve in the shock.

Ride on

Brewster

Especially if you ride hard in hot weather or are climbing long hills - get a hotstart. IMO they should be standard equipment on all 4 strokes. As far as ease of starting, once you have the bike fully broken in - 500+ miles - they are quite easy to start. If you get one that is 2002 or older, have Bruce to his mod to the ACR and it will be even easier to start. (2003 and newer are already "modded").

Thanks,

i don't have to big of a budget, so i'm thinking around a year of a 2000 or so with low miles or just good condition.

Hey,

I used to race 125's back in the day, and i can tell you that this bike will smoke an mxer in the woods any day. My 300 has a few basic mods done and all i can say is that I am 100% satisified. You cannot go wrong with this bike, and I picked my 2001 in darn near perfect condition for a mere 2,500.00 in OH.

Good luck and I promise you will not be dissappointed ... especially since this bike requires about 90% less clutching on a normal ride basis then any 125. Low end is no comparison as well.... 300r all the way :cry:

Not starting a Flaming session this is simply my 2 cents.

I sold my 04KLX300 and went to an XR to each his own but at 135 lbs I think you will like the XR250R alot better.

I also gave up my 04 KX125 to start riding with my son and didnt need 2 bikes. Im a lil to old anymore to be flying high WAIT I mean Im a lil to old and dont heal fast anymore :cry:

Coming off a KX125 this quote from the review might interest you.

"Most favored the Honda with a traditional 41mm Kayaba fork with 20-position compression damping adjustability and 10.6 inches of travel. The overriding feeling is that the suspension combines with the XR riding position to make it more motorcross-like than the others."

Anyhow good luck in your quest but, read this review before you decide.

XR VS KLX

One other thing in closing is the XR line offers alot more aftermarket support then the KLX300.

The XR I agree is better in it's element, the desert. It is air cooled, and for woods and hill climb type riding, especially when hot out, they run too hot. The liquid cooled KLX can do one hillclimb after another, very slow speeds, and not even come close to overheating. I have never once overheated my bike, and I've never found it necessary to have to stop and let the bike cool.

JMO

Kevin

Coming off a KX125 this quote from the review might interest you.

"Most favored the Honda with a traditional 41mm Kayaba fork with 20-position compression damping adjustability and 10.6 inches of travel. The overriding feeling is that the suspension combines with the XR riding position to make it more motorcross-like than the others."

Anyhow good luck in your quest but, read this review before you decide.

XR VS KLX

One other thing in closing is the XR line offers alot more aftermarket support then the KLX300.

I guess everybody has different tastes... After reading the article mentioned above, I ended up buying the KLX300 this spring. In my opinion, I definately made the right choice. I'm happy with my KLX, and it is still in stock form.

The biggest thing I noticed going from 125's to the KLX was the KLX is small and flickable just like a 125. With an aftermarket seat and bars, you can get a very similar feel to a 125. The weight when stripped down was pleasantly surprising too, lighter than I expected.

That and it's green!

The biggest thing I noticed going from 125's to the KLX was the KLX is small and flickable just like a 125. With an aftermarket seat and bars, you can get a very similar feel to a 125. The weight when stripped down was pleasantly surprising too, lighter than I expected.

That and it's green!

I don't know that I've ever considered my KLX fickable :cry: It's not light, but it is definitely the right choice for woods trails. We have both the KLX and XR in my family. I gotta tell ya. That XR is a tempermental biatch. We ride a lot of desert mountains and hills down here and hubby's bike gets more and more ornery (sp!?) as the day goes on. Not my KLX. And the couple of times we went up north, MAN oh MAN. My KLX just put him to shame (I really wanted to say I was a much better technical rider, but I might get in trouble if I try to call that one!) The bike is a great bike. It's not light and it's definitely not made to do the track every weekend, but she just motors and motors up and down those hills in my desert and you can't beat it turning in those tight twisty woods trails! (Spangler is almost in my backyard...lucky me!!)