Sign in to follow this  

CRF230 Fork Oil Level?

Hi there,

I occasionally bottom the front end of my 230 on jumps. It doesn't bottom hard, but it doesn't seem like a good thing to me. :cry: FWIW, I'm 5'11" 180#.

Sounds like I'm not alone in this. The dealer installed preload spacers (PVC, roughly an inch long). Still bottoming. So I got a shop manual and changed the oil to 15w. Also, instead of making the oil level 5.7", I went to 5.5". Still bottoming.

BTW, once I saw how easy it is to do this work, and saw the chintzy spacers they put in my forks, I felt kinda ripped off for the $70 the shop charged me for the spacers. I wish I'd read ThumperTalk first! Washers seem like a MUCH better idea now that I've read that here!

So, if I raise the oil level more, might that help? Might it hurt?

I'm not bottoming it hard, or too often. Am I concerned for no good reason?

Thanks!

Minor bottoming is okay, but major bottoming is not. If it barely does, then don't really worry.

You may want to add a little more oil and also preload a little bit more. If not you could go BBR springs.

Coeshow has tdone 1.5" but has not had his coils binding. I say that would be the max, and the oil hieght, you shouldn't go any higher than 5"

Just to clarify, My spacers are 1.125", or 1 1/8", not 1.5" 1 1/2". Made them from 1 1/8" .095" wall tubing.