How does one adjust the front forks?

I'm new to motorcycles so a little patience please. I've done some searches on these forums but I can't find the answer because I think my question is so basic.

How do I stiffen up the front fork? I see two air valves at the top; do I just add air and if so to what PSI?

Thanks for the help.

Raza

'94 XR250L

These screws are for removing air, not adding it. There are adjuster screws on the top and bottom of the forks that have "S>H" softer, harder arrows on them called clickers because they "click" into each steeing. Try to adjust these first, then you can play with the oil level and weight if that isn't enough. If you are pretty new to this, just leave the oil at the same level and adjust the clickers. Do a search for "clicker settings" and you will find many more suggestions on suspension in this forum. If you want to mess with the little screws on top, with the front wheel off the ground, unscrew then screw back on. You may hear a hiss out of them, maybe not. It is ok either way. All these suggestions are a very early beginning to many adjustments. Probably why noone answered yet. Good luck, keep doing forum searches. ?

? Wow!

The "clickers" on the bottom of the fork are for compression. Turning them in, increases the stiffness of the fork on the compression stroke. Out, decreases stiffness.

The top of the fork "clickers" are for rebound! How fast the fork "rebounds" after compression.

Best advise I can give.........BUY THE MANUAL!!!! ?

Don't be surprised if your XR250 only has one fork adjustment.

Get paper, pencil and screwdriver.

Always make adjustments to both fork legs.

Turn one clicker to full closed, counting the clicks. Write down the number, such as 8.

Now turn it full open counting the clicks. Such as 12.

Assuming, the range is 0 to 12, test within 2 to 12. Never run full closed.

Set one setting at the hardest setting (2). Ride over some bumps. Make notes.

Set one setting at the softest setting (12). Ride over some bumps. Make notes.

Do you see how the forks respond?

Now go back to the original setting (example 8). Ride over some bumps.

Would softer or harder make it better? Turn it 2 clicks. Better or worse?

Repeat for the other settings.

Because all settings work with each other, fork compression, rebound, shock compression, shock rebound; changes will affect overall handling. It will take some time to fine tune all the settings.

Once you have totally screwed up the settings, it is very handy to have the original settings for a reference. Start again. This is time consuming, which is why taking the time to write down notes will help.