Sign in to follow this  

Went to 17 Inch Excels.....How do I fix Speedo on S model??? *DELETED*

No mod known to man yet. The speedo is 9mph off and you will rack up the miles. But you will have a hell of alot of fun doing it!!

My bike has over 6k on the speedo but only has about 4k maybe. No biggie to me. :cry:

Doesnt the speedo have a correction adjustment for tire wear? I saw it in the manual, but have not tried it yet because my speedo is pretty close when checked against a GPS.

Its definately in there tho..

S7

Why not just disconnect the stock speedo and wire up a Sigma Sport 1200 bicycle computer. They're only 20 bucks or so from bike nashbar are adjustable for 2 different wheel sizes, accuate to (I think) 199 mph.

I put one on my Transalp when the speedo drive packed up but haven't gotten around to sticking one on the DRZ yet. Most bicycle shops have an assorment of magnets that mount different ways. The computer the wheel magnet is built for is not important 'cause the sensor only cares that some kind of magnet passes within a certain distance for every wheel revolution.

It's not too hard to get creative with these things and they're very accurate when adjusted correctly. Oh...you'll probably have to extend the sensor wire since it's very short because of the bicycle design. Be careful doing this. It looks like there's only one wire but it is a very small coaxial wire pair. So you have to splice two wires on each side after you cut.

Thanks for all the replies........keep um coming. I know about the bicycle thing but I'm trying to stay away from that. I can't believe there's nothing that can be done with the stock setup.......weird! I would think there's something in that speedo housing that goes in the hub that could be changed or altered.

One other issue I'm dealing with is gearing now. I only ride the bike on the street. It came with a 15/44 combo. My friend and I went to a 15/42 for the top end. Now that I've changed to the 17's am I right back to basically a 15/44 combo because of wheel size??? If I go back to the stock gears 15/44 will it be to low geared for street use only. I don't want to be reving out everywhere I go. I like to cruise 65/70. What do you think????

I used 15/40 for longer highway stuff with road bike friends. I used 15/42 for wheelies! :cry: I think that 15/41 would be great. a couple of guys here are ahppy with that set up. :cry:

If you can wait until May of 05 Suzuki will have the parts you need since they are releasing the DRZ400SM factory Super Motard. Then the speedo will be fixable with a different assembly the wheel. I got this info from reading a post on this site about it, but can't remember who.

I can't wait for its release as I want a stock factory rear fender in black for an S model!

Jerry

Linco - Are you running the 15/42 with 17's or stock wheels? If your using 17's, does it rev out or is it cool for crusing 65-70??? Let me know......thanx!

Linco - Are you running the 15/42 with 17's or stock wheels? If your using 17's, does it rev out or is it cool for crusing 65-70??? Let me know......thanx!

i run 15/42 with 17s and the speedo says 87 when comfortable crusing. figure 87 to be about 78 or so. and it still pulls up the wheel in 2nd, a little coaxing in 3rd though.

Yeah, wynn, keep your posts on here because they go into the archive and can be searched on. That way, anybody coming along in future can search and doesn't have to ask the same question.

I've asked some stoopid questions these last few days and I swear there's 30 or so newbies out there who now owe me a beer because I asked the question and they got the answer while I looked dumb! Guys, you owe me! :cry: :cry:

Ian

Didn't know that......sorry guys......I won't delete anymore of the ads I start!!!

Yeah, wynn, keep your posts on here because they go into the archive and can be searched on. That way, anybody coming along in future can search and doesn't have to ask the same question.

Thanks alot...Your beer is in the mail.

I've asked some stoopid questions these last few days and I swear there's 30 or so newbies out there who now owe me a beer because I asked the question and they got the answer while I looked dumb! Guys, you owe me! :cry: :cry:

Ian