Sign in to follow this  

Elbows up at WOT?

I was just wondering if it was possible to keep your elbows up when tapped out on a long straightaway. When I twist the throttle all the way open, my right elbow naturally droops. I realize I'm not going to be doing this through corners or over a whoop section, but was wondering if it really mattered whether my elbows should be up 100% of the time. The only other way I could think of keeping them up is overgripping the throttle, which is something I'm not fond of doing at all. Thanks.

Im sure everyone will say to overgrip, but I'm with you, I dont like to overgrip. I think you should keep your elbows up just in case you hit a root or whatnot (if you are riding woods), but if you are WOT in 5th will your elbows up really help?!? :cry:

well when you go off the gate at glenhellen and you are ripping into that first right turn and you are on a 450 and you are pinned in 4th and then you are still countersteering slightly to the left to keep the bike drifting right and then here comes the wall and you grab 5th and hold it on the rest of the way through and up the hill you better have your elbows up and be in attack and clamping the bike with your calf and knees or you will get ripped of the bike------i mean it just helps you controll the bike better and stay in center control point of ballence and you can react to a problem better and fix it before you end up on your head-----and yes you need some regrip on the throttle.

i find it helps to stabalize the bike at high speeds. You are in control of the front wheel, it's not in control of you if you hit a root, rock, etc.

I was once taught by an expert to hold my grips like a tennis racket (or golf club)-kind of with your thumb more horizontal along the back of the grip. Been doing it ever since and it really helps with overgrip and shock avoidance to wrist. Try it. I still have to think about it sometimes when I get tired and readjust. It also tends to force me to grip more with my legs and knees.