Sign in to follow this  

How to plate an off-road bike in WA!!

Here's what I have learned.

A plated bike in WA is perfectly legal as long as it confirms to the RCW requirements. OK, the DOL will license a bike but will not take responsibility for determining if it conforms to the RCW, I assume because of liability issues (someone probably sued them for licensing a bike that didn't conform to the RCW), so they now require inspection by the State Patrol in order to shift liability. The State Patrol has now decided that they do not want to be liable either so refuse to inspect conversions and defer to the manufacturer to determine if the bikes comply. Obviously bikes marked "off road only do not"

According to RCW any conversion is legal. Just try to get someone to give you a plate. Technically the DOL and State Patrol are not following the law, just not doing inspections.

Anyway, when a bike is "converted" to dualsport under someone else’s jurisdiction/responsibility, Canada, Oregon or others, then the DOL is more than happy to take your money and give you a plate. Move the title out of state, convert it, and then bring it back. That's the only way to get it done that I can see.

Does the State of Oregon inspect the bike then? Or do they just take the tittle, look at what kind of bike it is, and then you pay for the plate and that is it? How does it work in Oregon? Thanks......

So what your saying is when I buy my WR 450 I need to make sure to buy one from a different state or country, :cry:

So what your saying is when I buy my WR 450 I need to make sure to buy one from a different state or country, :cry:

That's it! That's the biggest reason I bought mine in Canada. Or you could move ownership/title to an out of state/country address, convert it to a "street" title and then move it back to a WA address. I believe if it stays in your name there will be no sales tax issues. Got any relatives in Oregon or Canada?

Anyway you do it is a pain in the butt, but worth it in my opinion.

I have a WA drivers liscense, address and title. I liscenced my DRZ400 in Oregon yesterday. It cost $95, and that includes title transfer to Oregon. The dude behind the counter took a look at the VIN on my bike, and that was it for the inspection. He gave me a plate that day, and now I ride on the street, it's so much fun that it feels criminal!

I called the Oregon DMV and they said I had to be an Oregon resident. How did you manage that?

Greg

So, here's my situation.. My roomate is an Oregon resident and has an Oregon address. So what kinda damage would it be for me to convert the title into his name, license it, and then have him change the title back to my name in WA? Can I sell the bike to him for something outrageous, say $1? Could I say he won it at Poker? Then I could miraculously win it back the next day after it gets licensed?

xteamrider, You would have a easier time if you just "gifted" your friend the bike. Just make sure you are there when he transfers the title over so you can verify that you gave him the bike for free. Then just do the same thing when you get it back. :cry:

Very cool guys! Excellent thread. I've got a sister in Portland. Maybe I'll "give" her my DR400!

If I hadn't bought a Canadian bike I would have tried just using a friends Oregon address, tell the OR DMV that I'm moving to this address and change the title to Oregon at the OR address but keep it in my name, get the plate and reg. When the OR title comes in my name to the OR address I would then take it to the WA DMV and tell them I am moving back to WA and need to transfer this bike back to WA. If they want tax then just show them your old WA registration and say You already paid tax before.

The only hickup I can see is if OR will not register a vehicle with your WA drivers license.

It's worth a try.

I called the Oregon DMV and they said I had to be an Oregon resident. How did you manage that?

Greg

I was wondering the same thing.. state DMV's will only register if you actually live in that state.