Sign in to follow this  

97 XR400 spark arrestor question

I never took the end off my bike's muffler until today since I have only ridden it a few times on private land, but I was thinking about going riding elsewhere and thought I'd check for my spark arrestor.

After taking the end off and looking inside, I am wondering where is my spark arrestor? From all the pictures I could find on the internet and in my service manual it seems as though it might have been removed. When I bought the bike the previous owner mentioned he had removed the baffle.

So, I am wondering if he also removed the spark arrestor since the inside of my muffler doesn't resemble the pictures I can find. My bike is a 1997 XR400 and from what I've read is that this year the baffle and spark arrestor came apart seperately instead of welded together.

If anyone could take a look at the pictures I took of it today and offer some advice or opinion on my dilemma, it would be greatly appreciated. If the spark arrestor is gone, where could I get another one or what possibilities (cheap) do I have?

Thanks.

Here are the pictures.

That doesn't look stock. On the stock Honda spark arrestor, it is simply a wire screen. It looks like there is a wire screen in your muffler. I don't know if that is an official spark arrestor. Mr. Ranger might not approve. :cry:

• Like 1

Hmm, I don't know. I'm pretty sure that end is not stock. I looked up the part number on the pipe (HM KCY A1) and found a site with diagrams of all sorts of exhausts, including the one I have. The end is different though.

Is that end piece the baffle with the different length and diameter tubes? I've been searching around trying to figure out what I have and what I need. The inside wall seems to have some sort of screenish type something, but I can't see how that would work as a spark arrestor. All the pictures I've been able to find show something more like a fine screen.

Do I just need to order a baffle/s.a. like Baja Designs has for sale, or can I purchase just a spark arrestor somewhere that would fit? :cry:

To me, it looks like someone made there own Vortip style end piece to replace everything from the stock shell > back. The perforated stuff on the shell wall is to reduce some of the noise reflection and is not the spark arrestor. A normal BD or Vortip style insert is held in place by a setscrew or two from the silver (spark arrestor) portion, which is then bolted to the shell via the three bolts. You could try and pass it off by the ranger but who knows what will happen. :cry:

Otherwise you'll need to order a stock arrestor (BikeBandit.com part# 69548-001 $50.69) and the stock baffle (BikeBandit.com part# 69463-001 $70.56) or a Baja Designs baffle insert (part# 550002 $89.95). Conversely you could also get the HRC Comp insert (Baja Designs part# 550004 $51.95) which is a spark arrestor and exit tube but you can't add a sound baffle later and it will not pass the CA 96db limit. Personally I like the stock arrestor and BD baffle since it passes the 96db limit easily and is supposed to even make it past the 94db Michigan limit. Hope this helps - PM me if you need more info.

Good Luck,

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I pretty much figured out that the walls inside were just something else since logically there is no way it would perform the purpose of a spark arrestor.

I'll check out those links you mentioned. I pretty much figure that I will either order an original spark arrestor and see if the baffle I have fits with it or find a tip with a spark arrestor and baffle that fits or something. Thanks for the input.