Sign in to follow this  

hard to start/flooding

Just getting back into riding, last fall I purchased a 2000 xr250r that had some Gordon mods, snorkel removed, uni filter and a fmf exhaust. I ground the welds myself. I'm unsure of any rejetting, the man I bought it from was the 2nd owner.I live in Middle Georgia with an elevation of around 320' This bike is very hard to start, even warm it needs choke (lever up). It has a hot start installed but not a lot of help. Floods very easy, if I don't get it started quickly it floods and fouls the plug. Cold days are worse. When it is running it is very responsive no noticable bogging. Does this sound more like a screw adjustment more than needle jets? Thanks John

it is possible that you have blockage in the pilot jet, main jet and atmizing jet itself.You might consider taking all the jets out if the carb, running carb cleaner and shop air all over in the passages , check your float level at the same time.

if you have to run with the choke ON this is more of a lean issue, which suggests blocked jets or passages, it does not take much .

pilot jet airscrew should be checked that it is 2 1/2T out from closed, this is a nominal setting.

re check the jet #'s

stu

Carb setting:

My bike has nearly the same mods like yours.

I use 134-138 main and 40 pilot.

xo Peter

This is a very unusual jetting combo on a 250--even at sea level--quite rich on the main, super lean on the pilot. A 40 pilot at sea level is just plain screwy.

:cry:

Sorry, my error - not 40, it should read 45 pilot. :cry:

Obvisously you can also go with a 48er pilot. The thing I noticed is that my bike starts with the K&N a lot better then with stock air filter. If cold or hot, the bike needs just 2x kicks.

(with stock air filter it needs around 6 kicks)

xo Peter

Thanks for the help, I'm planning on pulling the carb this weekend and giving it a good cleaning and see what jets are in it. John

I pulled the carb, pulled the jets sprayed it all out. One of the ports was blocked. Put it back together, pulled the spark plug, cleaned it up reinstalled the plug. Turned on the fuel and she started on about the 5th kick. Does this sound about right, a 132 and a 45 jet with the needle clip in the middle at almost sea level. Also with an FMF exhaust will that effect the jetting differently? Tell me about the correct use of a hot start, do I choke it with the hot start opened, I guess whatever works. I'm barely giving throttle while kicking it. Thanks John

The FMF website states 135 and a 45 jet, is there that much difference between a 135 and a 132? Thanks John