Sign in to follow this  

`03 S gas milage

just looking at an old post in the DRZ misc forum and was wondering what sort of gas miallage I should get out of my `03 S. I`m hitting reserve at 70miles (average-fast road riding) is this normall????

Jason

I'm running in still so 1/2 throttle only until next week. Then it's tight wire time! :cry: The bike's doing about 80 miles to reserve at the moment so I'd expect about 70. I'll keep you posted.

Ian

Mixed road and trails, DJ and 3X3 mod, 14/47 gearing... I usually get at least 70 miles to the tank. That's not too bad. I know I was getting more before the rejet but ut was well worth it :cry:

I get between 49-51 mpg with stock gearing, so reserve kicks in around 90 miles and that ain't drivng slow. :cry:

I get between 49-51 mpg with stock gearing, so reserve kicks in around 90 miles and that ain't drivng slow. :cry:

Hmmm that`s what a lot of people say. So why am I only getting 70 before reserve? And that`s all street riding.

When you fill up your tank you can see a small cavity then teh neck/hole to put the nozzle for the gas pump. Can you fill all the way to the top and into that cavity or just to the neck of the small diameter hole????

Just fill to the bottom of the tube, the extra space is there to allow for expansion of the gas. The mileage is probably related to my jetting, it is dead on. :cry: PS I always run premium, i tried some regular the other day just to see if the difference was all that great. My mileage was down to 45 and the bike didn't run anywhere as smooth. Put another tank of premium in (after someone else, so I got all the gas as premium from the hose)and back to how I like it, runs noticable better. :cry:

I'm running in still so 1/2 throttle only until next week. Then it's tight wire time! The bike's doing about 80 miles to reserve at the moment so I'd expect about 70. I'll keep you posted.

Ian, check out this site for break in information, many of us have used his technique & had

good results, of course its better to do it right off the bat his way.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Jason, I was hitting reserve @ 75-80 stock, earliest I remember hitting it was 60 on

an 85mph avg freeway blast. Now I have the dynojet kit & a Clarke 4 gallon, hit reserve

@ 160-170, I think its a .5 reserve. It seems Im getting @ 5mpg better gas milage & more power..!!!

Get the 4 gallon, I dont know about you but I hated having to fill up every 75 miles.

OK, can I admit now that I have been caning it up to the redline every 100 miles or so, running it at high revs for a few miles on trailsad then running it gently in between. :cry:

I thought I'd get a slating if I said I ran a bike in like that but your link seems to confirm that I'm OK! :cry:

My DRZ just gets better and better with every day! :cry:

Ian

I pushed my bike 3 times with the stock tank...80 miles and it was DONE!

Get a 3.9 and ride to your hearts content. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dynojet kid, 15/44 gearing and riding like I stole it (all street) wheelies every quiet street I hit and accelerating like I would if a truck lost his brakes and comes right behind me. I get 180km (Stock tank) and thats litteraly. A week ago I hit 180km and my bike died ....I was lucky to cruise in nuetral to a gas station feeled up 9.897 litre. :cry:

I'm consistently at 95 miles give or take then I hit reserve. I have ran it just past 100 miles with reserve and sweated the whole time. I ride only street to school and back but the trip back is the long way through the twisties and I'm not very nice about it. All stock btw but not for much longer. :cry:

I get consistant 50mpg Dyno with jetting below cv carb stock gearing, you must be jetted very rich. If your running stock set up, should get better. 20k miles and have never ran out of GAS, BUT WOULD LIKE A CLARK. But btw it's going the bike will wear out first by the time I spend the money.

Most of my ride is 85% street and 15% sand trails. Still never really varies, I just fill sometime after 100 miles, running reserve all times.

Once the agressive cams, pipes, and carbs are installed, mpg may vary quite a bit.

Running 99% dirt (single and two track - quick pace) with the mods as listed in signature I'm getting 42 mpg. Have done multiple jetting combos and it runs best as listed so not worried. The Clarke 3.9 is the way to go..... :cry:

I have an 03 with stock gearing and when I ride to work and back it will get between 55 to 61 mpg. When I put my 14-47 gearing on milage goes to pot, probably around 45 or so.

I run 14/47 also. Did about 50/50 single track and dirt road. Had 75 miles showing and it took 2 gallons to top it off. Been thinking of trying a 15 on the front now that I have DOT tires. Quick and easy to change...

I have a stock 03 S with 14 tooth front sprocket and Bridgestone EO3/E04 tires, riding easy to work 45-55 mph and back I have had to hit reserve twice, 123 miles and at 110 miles.

With my wife on the back of the bike and riding semi-hard in the mountains with my street bike buddies, about 70 miles putting 1.5 gallons in the tank.