Sign in to follow this  

Confused

Just when I thought I had it all figured out........ I went into the local Honda shop....... :cry: I'm getting real close on buying three bikes, one for my son, one for my wife, and one for me. I wanted to buy a WR450. I've had my mind set on that bike. Now I go into the local Honda shop and run into friends that I haven't seen in awhile. They are all riding the CRF450, they are trying to talk me into a MX bike. My question is: Will a WR450 keep up with the CRF450 in "general" riding performance? :cry: I wanted the WR450 for a duel bike. One I can ride in the woods and one I can take to the dunes too. I don't want to get into racing. Will the WR perfom well in both places? My friends ride the dunes about 90% of the time. This is a big purchace for me and I don't want to mess it up. For a little back ground the last bike I owned was a 1997 KX250 I've been off a bike for 12 years, rode four wheelers for a couple years after that, then rode snowmobiles for the past seven years. This will be my first bike in years. Thanks in advance for any points you might have.

EDIT: I can't spell worth a crap with out spell check! :cry:

Hey Top,

Sounds like an exciting time for you!!! I would go with your heart. From what it sounds like you want to do, the WR would be perfect. The CRF is a potent bike, and fast, but I believe the WR would walk away from it... on the fire roads :cry: I also think the CRF would be a bit potent for the woods unless you are an aggressive rider. The WR is more forgiving, meaning you can lug the heck out of it and when you want you can rip with the best of them. I can't complain one bit on my purchase 2.5 years ago.

I had been off for 20 some odd years. My bike allowed me to grow into it and now I am starting to use some of the untapped power it has. If you like trailriding I would definately suggest the WR. Very reliable bike. Not one valve issue :cry: Just kiddin you red guys. Hope I helped... but doubt it :cry:

Happy hunting :cry:

Fryboy

Everything helps at this point. This is why I joined this board (Compared to others I have read) Lots of great people on this one. The replies really help. Thanks again! :cry:

I am partial to red bikes for many reasons. Why not consider the CRF450X? I understand that it is a first year bike and is not proven like the WR450. Yamaha's are also GREAT bikes, I think you will be smiling from ear to ear with either of these machines. The CRF450 is mainly built for MX but is a very versatile machine, with what you have in mind for riding I would personally stay away from the R version. Just my opinion and I hope it helps.

Keith :cry:

From what I have been told the WR's (eduros) will have a much faster top speed than an MX like the CRF450. You don't need top speed on the track, but the serious desert racers do.

I think the CRF450 is an awesome bike, and can be made trail worthy. Like the other guy said, you will have to be pretty aggresive to ride it stock. Otherwise you will probably want to add a flywheel weight, spark arrestor, gear it down, maybe the Large Capicity fuel tank. If you want to dual sport it you will need to set it all up with lights etc.

I think the WR is an excellent choice, esp if you want to dual sport it. It is a lot heavier than the CRF, but it is has the big tank, the e-start, heavier flywheel, and all the lights. It is going to be heavier. The WR is a bike you can grow with. If you want to pep it up later, you can remove the grey wire, throw on an exhaust, remove the throttle stop (do this mod day one),yz cam etc. Yamaha is known for their strong motors. I don't know if the WR will beat the CRF on the track (assuming both riders are at the same skill level) but you will definitly kick butt on the trails!!! :cry:

Another plus with the WR is that they have the bigger radiators. You will less likely over heat your bike going slower in the tight stuff. Also the WR has oil in the frame as well as the tranny and engine, which mean the oil capacity on the WR is MUCH greater than in the CRF. You have to watch the CRF because it will burn a little oil when you ride hard, and there is not as much to spare.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REPLIES!!!! This site rocks! :cry: I'm still going to go with the WR450. Was there big changes between a 04' and a 05' besides being a little lower in the seat? Thanks again! :cry:

Have fun with your blue beast. :cry: Let us know how you like it. I know you will love it. :cry:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REPLIES!!!! This site rocks! :cry: I'm still going to go with the WR450. Was there big changes between a 04' and a 05' besides being a little lower in the seat? Thanks again! :cry:

Don't know if you've checked out the Yamaha website but they let you compare the specs of any two bikes side by side. Here's a link to a comparison of the '04 and '05 WR450F models: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitspecscomp02/2/mcy/28/210/0/615/yamaha_wr450f.aspx

Thanks for the link. It doesn't really look like they have changed that much. :cry:

I am glad you chose yamaha. TYhbey seem to hold up better over time than hodna. for foofroad i wouldnt chose honda cr450 because thy have a 1 galon tank and a wr450 has a igger thank. I believe thye aslo ahve handles under the rear seat/febder and this things are freaking awsome for everythig. honda maeks a good mahcine but i am a fan opf tryue blue not onyl cause i ride them but ebcause i have worked on and rebuiult both bikes and amaha is simperl to work on nad a better desing *in my onpinion)

i aslo rodr a crf540r and wasnt not imrpssed because it deid ad ranodm tiems and iw as tld that was normal .

goid aidamn uit iu am too fkciuin up

later,

mad

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REPLIES!!!! This site rocks! :cry: I'm still going to go with the WR450. Was there big changes between a 04' and a 05' besides being a little lower in the seat? Thanks again! :lol:

I am glad you chose yamaha. TYhbey seem to hold up better over time than hodna. for foofroad i wouldnt chose honda cr450 because thy have a 1 galon tank and a wr450 has a igger thank. I believe thye aslo ahve handles under the rear seat/febder and this things are freaking awsome for everythig. honda maeks a good mahcine but i am a fan opf tryue blue not onyl cause i ride them but ebcause i have worked on and rebuiult both bikes and amaha is simperl to work on nad a better desing *in my onpinion)

i aslo rodr a crf540r and wasnt not imrpssed because it deid ad ranodm tiems and iw as tld that was normal .

goid aidamn uit iu am too fkciuin up

later,

mad

huked on fonx wurked 4 me :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol:

There was a few changes, some for the better, some for the worse...

Negatives

The gas tank got smaller (half a gallon less)

lower seat height (BUT they took 10mm out of the already stiff seat and another 10mm out of the suspension travel)

slightly lower compression

Air injection pump (aka smog pump) I'm guessing this one lowers the horsepower somewhat, but its probably removable.

Positives

(For CA residents) its green sticker

Aluminum muffler

Renthal bars

48mm forks

Different plastics (supposedly doesnt turn whitish after its been bent)

All in all they're both great bikes but I wasn't happy about the lower fuel capacity and the lower seat so I snatched up a '04 before they were all gone. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Get the CRF450X. Yamahas have, in my opinion, an uncomfortable seat, rusting steel frames, and are built generally to a worse quality than Hondas. CRF450X/R should be perfect for you :cry:

Get the CRF450X. Yamahas have, in my opinion, an uncomfortable seat, rusting steel frames, and are built generally to a worse quality than Hondas. CRF450X/R should be perfect for you :cry:

I think uncomforatble seat trumps unreliable top ends any day of the week :cry:

Besides you can buy thicker seat foam for 50 bucks, how much will new valves cost for the red bike?

The WR is 6 years old, tested and proven a damn solid bike, the 450X is brand new and unproven, not much comparrison IMO.

I think uncomforatble seat trumps unreliable top ends any day of the week :cry:

Besides you can buy thicker seat foam for 50 bucks, how much will new valves cost for the red bike?

The WR is 6 years old, tested and proven a damn solid bike, the 450X is brand new and unproven, not much comparrison IMO.

^^^ what he said ^^^

Hey Top. I had the exact same dillema.

Last year I put a deposit down for a WR450. I had my mind set on it. I dont ride at tracks and do mostly trail riding up in the mountains of colorado.

I then had an opportunity to ride a friends 03 CRF 450. I instantly fell in love. I felt so much more comfortable on the bike than the WR. I was able to handle the bike better.

So the next day, went and bought an 04 CRF450 they had on the showroom.

I have been doing 95% trails and the CRF is GREAT. There are a few items you can do to tame in for trail.

Bigger Rear Sprocket

Skid Plate

Engine Ice in radiator

Heavier Flywheel Wieght

I agree that the Yamaha seats are very harsh.

Either way, your getting a good bike. Enjoy and have fun out there. :cry:

Thanks again for all the replies. So far as it stands it looks like I will buy my son a KLX110, my wife a CFR230, and my self a WR450 Now all I need is a Suzuki :cry: