Anti Virus programs

Looking for input before I purchase. I have Norton 2001 on my 633mz/WinME dinosaur, which has stopped working. I had wanted to moved the virus definition files, reinstall AV2001, and subscribe to get new definition files.

Now I find out they no longer support it. I think this is too short a support period {strike 1}.

This is the first problem I have had with NAV2001, and I dont think the problem is actually with the program.

But the thoughts of buying another Norton product, only to be forced to replace it when I experience the first problem, doesnt sit right with me.

Any suggestions on AV progs, able to run on WinME?

Thanks

Robert ?

Norton is hands down the best. I'm guessing you probably already have a virus, after your subscription expired, and its killing Norton.

try www.trendmicro.com and choose their "housecall" free online scanner. It works very well.

Then, see if you can reinstall NAV. You get another free year for reinstalling it, basically. AND, it can be updated to the latest virus definitions. If you cant reinstall, go to www.symantec.com and look for the removal program. I dont remember whats its called, or where it is, but it works pretty good when the Norton install is messed up.

Hope I helped...

<font color="navy">Norton is the best overall protection out there right now. It is also less intrusive (system resources) than McAfee. There are other lower cost alternatives, but if you really are concerned about protection, I wouldn't go with them.

Beware of their full security suite (as with McAfee), it has too much crap you don't need. Just get AntiVirus and if you have the urge to get a firewall either go with Zone Alarm (free) or upgrade to WindowsXP Home edition and install SP2 (good built-in firewall).

Just in case there is any doubt I've got adequate perspective, up until recently I managed a client service support center that supported over 15,000 PCs here in Southern California alone (and set standards for another 30,000 domestically). Believe me, we scrutinized the hell out of this stuff!

By the way, someone mentioned getting rid of ME. It is a bit more stable than Win98, but still shaky compared to XP. The WindowsXP upgrade to Home edition is still somewhat pricey (around $90 I think?), but installs very clean (for an upgrade) and will make your system much more stable. If you're considering that, do the O/S upgrade first, then do the virus protection...

OK, here is my opinion. Norton is WAY (waywaywayway) overrated. It bogs down memory, makes computers slow and even has it's own spy program built in. If you talk to the general public, they will all say it's the best. I had it for years. Get it off/out/gone!!! Anything you have to buy is making more money on service calls and questions than software. Here is the real deal, best thing. It is free and you will never have a problem again. Get free anti-virus software called AVG. It is much smaller of a program and runs better than the rest. Then get ad-aware free. Then spy-bot free. All of these programs can be downloaded for free at majorgeeks.com. Finally get an external firewall. This one you have to pay for, but won't have inside your computer. You can even get a router for about $40 with built in firewall and just use it as a firewall. (yes I did read the PC mag article about this and it is still the best thing out there). This is hands down the cheapest and best way to get around the whole Norton/Mcafee scandal. It will make your computer smokin fast. The AVG freeware will scan your computer before installing and get rid of that virus that you already have. Also the ad-aware will get rid of what's making your computer slow as well. The spyware. Ask away with any ?'s ? 1 more thing. Remember to uninstall all other av and firewall programs before putting this on in.

Yeah,

I have to agree with jeph. Norton totally kills your system resources. I kills your memory and almost triples your load times. When I took norton off my old computer and installed what I currently use. It found over 100+ viruses. I never saw norton find anythiny when I had it installed, and yes it was configured correctly. Its complete crap, and that was with me running spybot S&D.I have also had several incidences where Norton has completely crashed computers. Norton got horrible ratings in 2004. They still aren't any good. To really get good anti-virus protection you have to find the ones that are server or business grade, They usually dont eat system resources or slow down your computer. I use Panda Anti-virus Platinum 7 which is Business/Server grade anti-virus program. It has yet to slow my boot time, it is constantly scanning downloaded files, and has found many a virus and neutralized them as soon as it found it.

I agree that norton slows anything with less than 256 ram down. More than that and it doesnt matter. You should have more than that anyway.

AVG is fine, being free, but I've scanned AVG computers with Norton and found 20+ viruses. Same with McAfee. Both were fully updated.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

I ran the online scan at Symatec, and the online scan at Panda, all's clean.

The Panda scan seemed much more thorough, it was checking files that Symantec didnt. Took a lot longer, but then again, what use is a virus scan that doesnt check everything.

Still making my decision, but now I have a few more candidates to look at! AVG, Panda, Norton are in the running. Sorry McAfee, I had a run-in with their AV prog about 5 yrs ago, swore I would never install a McAfee product again...

Majorgeeks.com is a pretty cool site!

Thanks for the help!

Robert ?