Sign in to follow this  

radiator reservoir

Do all DRZ 400s have a overflow reservoir? I just bought a 2002 that has an overflow hose that goes to the bottom of the frame but can't find any reservoir. Do the DRZs usually require adding some coolant after each ride? Also, thanks for all the post on mods. I'm melting my visa on parts and accessories to make this baby bulletproof.

Yes...should have had one. No it is not normal to have to add coolant. That is what the overflow is for. To cath the overflow and feed it back into the system on cool down.

Some dork must have removed it.

2 questions. 2 answers. Yes, all DRZ400's came with a coolant catch tank. It is located on the left side in the frame "V" just under the air box in plain sight. If it is not there, it has been removed.

If, the catch tank has been removed, the system can not recycle coolant expelled when it warms and expands. Therefor it is necessary to leave some air space in the rad for the coolant to expand in to. If you are topping off the system after each ride, you are putting in too much coolant. It will always push some coolant out as it expands. Check it after a ride and see where the level is. It should be down maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch in the rad. Leave it as is. Check it after several more rides and see if it stabilize at that level. If so, that is where it needs to be. If it continues to go down, you have a leak or are overheating expelling coolant.

The catch tank is a good thing. I would put it back on if it is missing.