Sign in to follow this  

Any downside to DynoJet stage 2 kit

I am ready to upgrade with the DynoJet kit on my KLX 300 and I am wondering if there is any negatives to this mod. I really like the way this bike starts--1st kick when you do the drill. I wouldn't want to sacrifice any reliabilty for the sake of more power. Oh how is the fuel mileage with the stage 2 kit?

Tim

If you jet it correctly and follow instructions, there are no downsides. Just more power. I haven't noticed any change in mileage.

bp

Bill can the jetting cope with going from sea level to 5500ft on one set of jets? I read on DynoJets web site that they had about 4 different jets for the various elevations. I can go from sea level to 5500ft without much change in performance now.

Tim

Tim, no problem. I never start to feel a loss of power until around 6500-7000 feet. When going up in altitude (8-10,000ft), I usually rejet one size smaller on the MJ and maybe tweak on the pilot screw a little bit. If you put hex head bolts in your float bowl, you won't have to pull the carb to change out the MJ. Also, if your pilot screw is plugged, you should drill out the plug so that you can adjust the pilot circuit.

Fuel mileage will vary with the application of the right wrist. If the engine is making more power, it's using more gas. Most 4 strokes aren't fussy about elevation changes. KLX-Bill notices' a power reduction at 6,500ft. Get off of your bike at that elevation and run 100 yards and see what a 20% reduction of air density does. The power loss is mainly from the reduction of oxygen molecules.

Ride on

Brewster

Oh yeah, the other downside to having the dynojet in your bike is that your riding buddies will make you ride bigger hills and not help you if you don't make it to the top. :cry:

I installed the dynojet kit 2 weeks ago. It went in smooth and started right up. I do notice a bit more "pull" at WOT, but I am fouling plugs like it is my job. I called them, and the guy did not seem to have any really ehlpfull suggestions.

I have an aftermarket pipe and silencer from WB and a few other things done, so I went with the 128 main, clip slot 3, and 2.5 turns out on the mixture as suggested by the directions.

Note sure about my specific setup, but I think it needs some work. Let us know.

That sounds right. What elevation are you at. I've run that setup from sealevel to 7000 feet with no problems. I've even run it up to 9000 feet, but obviously it was way rich. My experience with dynojet tech support was good. I'd ask to speak to someone else.

Re-read your post. Something is definately wrong. You have to work really hard to foul a plug on a KLX.

Bill,

I am aware there is something wrong. The only thing the people at Dyno jet said was 'uh .... remove your aircleaner and run it for a while and see if that helps' Needless to say, I am not going riding without my airfilter so I left it at that.

My elevation is about 1500 feet and it is cutting out sometimes when I go WOT to idle and fouled 2 plugs in about 8-10 hours of riding.

I am a little worried, but not sure what changes to make. Anyway, I had 0 issues prior to the jet kit and followed the instructions exactly.

Is yours a CA KLX? Did you go from a non-adjustable needle to the dynojet needle, or did you have an adjustable needle before the dynojet. I've done dynojet kits on 3 KLX's and although there have been minor adjustment tweaks due to different types of exhausts and big bores, they have all worked flawlessly. If you had a CA model with the non adjustable needle, did you put in the washer from the adjustable needle? (Just curious, I've installed two with washer/spacers and one without. Both worked fine.)

Did you drill out the hole in the slide? Are you sure you drilled the correct hole? Sorry if the questions sound stupid. Just trying to help out. I've probably talked with a half a dozen people who have done the mod and are happy with the jetting. Can't figure out why yours worked great before and not afterwards......

snip... The only thing the people at Dyno jet said was 'uh .... remove your aircleaner and run it for a while and see if that helps'

I think what they were trying to get at is that they were trying to see if the bike ran better or worse without the air filter. An overoiled, dirty or restrictive air filter can definately affect your jetting. I would try the bike without the filter and see how it runs down your street for just a couple of minutes.

If it runs better, the jetting is rich. (Obviously)

What you need to do is find out where the carb is running rich. Pilot, Needle or MJ circuits. Or a combination of all 3. The pilot will adjust idle to 1/8-1/4 throttle. 1/4 to 3/4 or so is your needle circuit. 3/4 to WOT is your Main Jet.

Another question, did you buy the bike new? Do you know what pilot jet is in it. Is the plug removed so that you can adjust the pilot screw? Did you change or check the float adjustment?

Again, sorry if these sound stupid. Just trying to discern where your problem is.

When you put the white plastic goody with feet on it, back on top of the slide, did you check to see if any of the feet were blocking the hole in the slide that you drilled out?

Wrench on

Brewster

bill: I am pretty sure I drilled it perfectly and my bike is not a CA model. I just went with what the instructions said on my settings, but I am not exactly sure how the bike is supposed to act with this mod.

brewster: I checked the newly drilled hole and it was not blocked in anyway

bill: i understand what he meant about the airfilter, but again, the issue is only at WOT to idle and plug fouling, so chancing it in my apt. complex is rough :cry:

not sure about it ... but I guess I will keep trying.

Thanks guys !

Hey guys, just got my Dynojet kit for the 01 klx300, just wondering, should I follow the recomendations for the main jet. I have all mods done from the planet klx website, I have stock everything (buttplug removed) and am wondering which jet to go with. I do most of my riding in the mountains of the pacific northwest at about 1,000 feet to 7,000 feet, 7,000 feet representing the peak of my riding, very little time at that elevation. would i be able to get away with the DJ128? Thanks guys.

Hi Crazy,

I'm running the DJ 128 w/ pretty much the same bike config as you and haven't had any trouble from sea level up to over 8000 ft. You'll love the mod. No more throttle lag :cry::cry:

Jawbone, I like your bike selection, I used to have a 2000 1200s, then i got the cyclone 1203. One more question, do I need gaskets for this task? Thanks

No gaskets required, unless the rubber is rotten. Pretty stout Buna-N type "o" ring stuff. I've had mine apart a few times w/no problems. Slam that puppy in & go for a ride. You'll dig it :cry: :cry: :cry: