Sign in to follow this  

KLX110???

Hello everyone. I've been looking at different bikes for my son. He is 10 years old and has never rode a motorcycle. I don't think it's very smart for me to buy him a bike with a manual clutch. So that limits me to the bikes. So far I like the KLX110 the best. Why you might ask? Well for cost it seems to be a little loer priced. When I looked at the CRF's the biggest I could get him with a automatic clutch is a 70 and I believe the price was the same?? I could be wrong on that, I've looked at so many different bikes. When I look at the suzuki...... Well let me put it this way..... Why buy the Suzuki over the Kawasaki? Yamaha doesn't even seem in the running???? So my question is: Will the KLX110 be a good first bike for a 10 year old that has never rode? Why should I get one over the other one? As you can tell I don't know much about these smaller bikes. Thanks in advance! :cry:

Well it is all prefrance I guess. First of all the Suzuki DRZ110 is the same bike as the KLX110 just color!! Suzuki & Kawasaki merged & are the same Co. now. If your son is taller & fits on the KLX110 better than a XR50 go with that. The XR50 & the KLX110 can both be modified to a cluch later down the road as he gets better. The KLX110 is a little bigger bike that he can grow into & keep longer. They are all good bikes, again it is all preferance. :cry: Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Go with either the Kawasaki 110 or the Suzuki 110, as the other poster stated, they are the same bike.

I got a KLX110 for my son, 12 and a half, new rider and he loves it.

He is 4' 10" about 75 lbs. and it may seem a little small for him (long legs), but it has been working out perfect, especially with the automatic clutch.

I started him off riding in circles and figure 8's in first gear only, just to get him used to balancing, turning each way and controlling the bike with the brakes.

Tomorrow (actually today, need to get to bed) is our first trek out to a MX park to give him some more room and see how he handles things.

Lastly, I am pretty sure I've made up my mind to get him in a safety and basics class, because it can't hurt. Besides, it has been 27 years since I last rode, I may as well take the class with him. :cry:

One more thing....Gear him up! Always better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck,

John

My son has had two 110's, they are great bikes, he is 9 now and I put him on a CRF80, he like it the best, but has taken about 3 months to adjust to the clutch. You can put a Manual clutch on the 110, but I believe I would just take good care of it and sell it for a bigger one when he is ready in a year or two. They have a decent resale value.

Top, I just got a KLX110 for my nine & seven year old to ride (they will turn 10 & 8 in Nov.). They have been riding a 50cc trail bike and took to riding quickly. The CRF70 is great bike...a good friend bought one for his son and our kids rode it well. However, the the KLX seat is one inch lower and the bike has more power....not that I want the kids to go faster...but it will help them in varied terrain. Also, they will not outgrow the 110 as fast. Just my 2 cents :cry:

I have to agree. The klx/drz 110 is a great bike. We have one and I ride it a lot.

FWIW, Suzuki and Kawasaki are still independent Companies. They are just sharing technology on some models.