Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Can an XR250 handle jumps?

Recommended Posts

I have an '03 XR250 and my son has a CR80RB and he enjoys riding on motocross tracks. I would like to follow him around on the track but I am concerned that my XR250 wasn't designed for this type of riding and that I might break it in half going over the jumps. I'm 6'3" and weigh around 210 with all my gear on.

75% of my riding is on trails where the XR250 has worked perfectly. The other 25% would be on the track. I don't plan on ever racing, just having fun on the track with my son. Any recommendations as to which bike might be better for my style of riding?

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My XR has taken some pretty big jumps and alot of hard landings and I have never had a problem with it. I'm 6;2 and weigh around 185. The thing is a beast. :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NP........THAT IS IF U CAN KEEP UP WITH YOUR SON(SOME OF THOSE KIDS ARE PRETTY FAST). THE XR MODELS ARE PRETTY MUCH BULLET PROOF. THE BIKE WILL HANDLE WHATEVER U CAN HANDLE AND PROBABLY A BIT MORE!...RE:recommendations, I LOVE MY XR400. A GREAT DO IT ALL BIKE. ENJOY!! :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The XR400 foot pegs are the only thing known to break doing a lot of jumping. The XR250 pegs might be similar. Unless you come up short or overjump a lot, it shouldn't be a problem. This advice is void if you are doing 100 foot table tops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I owned an 2002 Xr400 with $2000 in mods, on a track it will never touch my CRF450.I'm 5'7" 175 buy a track bike your xr250 is made for goat trails.Please don't take this to personal but after owning a bike that people said was a great all around bike I found that wasn't the case. :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been my experience that the XR4 can jump just fine.... it's the landing you have to watch out for :cry:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the 250 and the 400 can handle jumps. I have jumped both and I'm 6'2' 275 lbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is not if the xr250 can handle the jumps!!!!!

The question is can you handle the jump and or the fall that is inevitable>???????? Kids are like tupperware and we are lick thick glass!!!!!!!!!1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! This is my first post to Thumpertalk. MANY years ago I was an expert class motocross racer and racing was my LIFE but I've been out of motorcycling for a LONG time. I just bought an XR400 last August and I've been RE-BORN! I have a short MX track on my property and I've built a couple of jumps for fun. I have a totally stock XR400 and I'm very impressed with how well it jumps...and lands! A photo of my small jump is below. I just built a larger one last weekend. If I had landing ramps and could land nose-down I'm sure the landings would be even softer, but using the "sissors" rear wheel landing technique on flat landings makes them darned soft on the XR. It's one fun and tough bike! Anyway, I'm thrilled to back into dirt-bike riding again! I've already learned a ton of helpful stuff from this site and I really look forward to checking it out in the evenings.

[OVERSIZE PHOTO LINKED...SEE CORRECTION BELOW]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on a YZ 250 at my local track a few weeks ago. This is a tight , short track with big jumps.

I was riding as fast as I cared to ride. All at once a group of riders passed me. One was on a CR 250, the second on a KX 250, the third guy was on an XR 250.

Due to the track design the XR motor worked quite well. The jumps, although large, offered a decent landing area. I tried to keep the XR guy in sight. After all, it was an XR 250....

This worked for abotu 30 seconds and the guy pulled away. He was an excellent rider, but the XR caused him no setious trouble.

I say keep riding the tracks if your having fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as you have a good landing ramp I dont see that you would have a problem. I hit a friends 10-15ft jump all the time and my suspension hardly goes down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes yes, I agree the 250 and 400 handle jumps fine.

just see how you go and adjust it to suit.

My 400's fine at it. land good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This past weekend we were out and this guy on a 90's (white) version of the XR250 was just flying. He basicaly beat out everyone. Although not a honda fan this guy on his 250 was superman. Jumping that is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×