Sign in to follow this  

Vortex Ignition-CDI Programmable Unit

What can you people tell me about the Vortex (checked out their website for info; need opinions)? Ease of use and does it help more than the stock CDI Unit? I've been thinking of starting into trail/poker runs and/or scrambles. We've had a bit of work done on my bike already, but was looking at a little more. Randy Hawkins runs the Vortex on his WR250F and I guess it's really great, but I really need to know...ease of use. :cry:

Ive been thinking about doing this too but i dont know much about the systems, but from what ive heard they help alot. I think ill just get one and try it out for myself, How much do they cost?

I bought the Vortex for my husband's Birthday last year. I was pretty nervous on how he would like it. I had heard good things, but I still a little nervous. My husband really loves it. There are 10 different settings. Some of the setting have very subtle differences and others are definetly more noticeable. My husband like the fact that he can change the setting to suit the environment. I noticed that on the performace setting you can really rev to the moon. On setting 7 (I think), I was able to blib the throttle a little and the front tire raise right up. I wasn't able to do that stock. It seemed more responsive off the bottom in that setting. In one of the traction setting my husband said the bike seemed to just pull harder up the hills. Is is worth $400? I guess that is a matter of opinion. My husband has really likes his. I'm sure a big bore kit would make more a difference in the power department, but there is nothing cooler than choosing how you want that power delivery.

Call Mike at MT Racing. He will gladly give you the low down on what to expect with the Vortex. Everything he told me about the product seemed right on. Good Luck. Also search 250F on this topic. I know there was some stuff about it in the past. :cry:

Yes they are worth every cent for racing, especially for starts and in the wet. Secondly you guys should be getting them cheaper, as they retail in Australia for $549 including taxes. That should be around $320 US

Not exactly cheap, but this is what I found for price on the web for the U.S. MT Racing. X10 Progammable CDI $398 for Yamahas, but this could change w/out notice on that site.

We are damp here in Oregon, BUT the SouthEast of the U.S. gets more annual rainfall than here in the Pacific NW. And since I have the nickname of puddles among the guys because I can find water or mud even in a draught...the vortex may be an additional toy for my ride.

Ive been thinking about bore'n out my 03 YZ250F to a 262 kit, do yall think that the vortex will help out noticeable with the big bore kit as well.