Sign in to follow this  

Topping off engine oil in CRF

I just picked up my CRFX250 from the dealer and am planning to ride it for the first time tommorrow. I checked the engine and Tranny oil and the engine oil reads just above the bottom line. I ran the bike for about five minutes and then let it sit for a few minutes before checking it. I did not screw the dipstick in to obtain the reading.

The only reason I ask this seemingly stupid question is because on my XR400, the dipstick never gave a correct reading- it was different every time you stuck the dipstick in. I finally gave up on it and just made sure I added the correct amount during oil changes (frequent) and then forgetting about it. Obviously, the XR holds a lot more oil than the CRF and I'd like to make sure I don't run the CRX with too little oil. Conversely, I don't want to run it with too much.

Advice?

You definitely don't want to screw it in when checking it. I just measure the right amount (.76 quarts) and put it in. Once I run it for a few minutes I check it and it's always a hair below the full line.

Thanks.

Any other suggestions before setting out on it's maiden voyage?

Also, I plan to change the oil after the first ride. Type of oil suggestion?