Overflow coolant bottle installed

That's a very good feature. The mechanic at the local Kawi shop built an aluminum one last weekend and mounted it to the frame below the rads. It worked quite well.

Yours looks like it just bolts on. No welding, muss or fuss. Think I will do that.

the less stuff you gotta do the better. I'm just worried that the bottle may be a tad far away from the rads. You sure it is sucking coolant back in?

Good point.

The WR and older KDX have the bottle located back there. I didn't want it behind the rad restricting air flow. This bottle is too large to fit behind the rad anyway. I'd have to get a bottle from a newer KDX if I chose to located it there.

I ride woods and don't push my bikes too hard. I don't think the bottle will be exposed to any real extreme conditions.

As far as the distance from the rads. If the fluid doesn't make it to the bottle....at least it will still be in the line. I hope..... ?

Tomorrow is test day. Yesterday I idled the bike for better than 10mins. Not a single drop left the rad. Just my luck. My temp indicators showed a temp of about 170'F on both rads. The 1.6bar cap seems to be doing it job. I may revert back to the stock cap for this test. Or,,,,ride the bike harder...heehee

This is all an experiment. It may work....it may not.

I'll know soon.

That is a clean installation. :thumbsup:My 98 KLX has the same type resevoir. It usually runs about 1/2 full. As long as the hose connections are tight the system should have no problem drawing the excess back into the radiator as it cools off. I don't think 170 is too hot. Most automotive engines now run at 195. If you top off the radiators and don't allow some room for expansion the system will purge the excess as it warms up. Ours did and a quick check with a digital temp only showed 170 at the filler. Certainly not boiling or overheated. Once it cooled off the coolant was still covering the core of the radiator. I had simply put in too much coolant. I wonder if alot of people aren't mistaking this for overheating. I understand a catch can is a requirement for those running supermoto.

4stroke, you bring up an excellent point. I noticed this myself when filling my rads. Especially when the bike is on a lift stand, you can fit quite a bit more in the rads than if you check it when it is on the ground (that is the way ur supposed to check it) plus, a little evaporation is normal because even in your car you have to add coolant every once in a while.

Thanks for the words.

The install was quite simple in hindsight. Some plastic needed to be removed from the white side panel and one bracket had to be fabricated. Really no biggie.

The placement of the bottle (height relative to the rad) and the fluid level in the bottle determined how much of the line would be full at all times. The line length is quite long so this is functionally critical.In my case,,,half the line will be filed when the bottle itself is half full.

Tomorrow will tell all...

Unfortunetly,,,I can't find my 1.1bar rad cap so the 1.6 will have to do for now.

Temps where taken at the tops of each rad.

The scale on the head starts at 194 and did not indicate at all.

Joe

I have found another help for overheating.It's called two2cool oil additive.Never thought that it would work but dropped the head temp by 20 degrees.The temp strip is on the cam chain side.Irode two hard practice motos and both times the head temp was 204.Than added the 1 OZ of the additive.Ten rode two more motos and the temp had dropped.Thanks for the pics on the overflow set up.Going to try it this week.

Well today was test day.

It was a huge success.

I left with full rads and after 4 hrs of hard trail riding.....the rads where full when cooled down.

I checked the level in the bottle several times during the ride and watched it rise when hot and drop when the bike cooled.

I could actually see the coolant flow through the tube BOTH ways. Very cool.

I'm happy with the results.

Joe

you have clear tubing on there? nice to hear it worked. how much did the whole setup cost you? did you happen to take any temps?

Yes I do have clear tubing.

The entire setup cost around $35USD. I could have gotten away with half the cost if I used a bottle off of a 95+ KDX. It was back ordered so I went with the older style.

New style will result in a shorter tubing run as it will mount just behind the left rad but may impede the air flow.

As far as taking temps.... I completely forgot. The bike was running at it's best and the day was super nice. Next time. Sorry.

Joe