Sign in to follow this  

as promised, YZ125 ride report

Okay, some of you asked for a report after I got my 05 YZ125 on the track. Last night I gave it quite a run through. As expected, it's just unbelievably light. I feel like I can't get hurt on it. My son was on my 250F and cased a double hard. He broke his collarbone and chipped his pelvis, so we spent the rest of the night in the emergency room. I guess the conclusion is that 250F's are more dangerous than 125's. :cry:

Anyway, that drama aside. It takes a while to get used to 2-strokes again. I am going to rave about this bike in a minute so I will hit the negative first. There is certainly less power. Remember also that I am comparing it to my 02 250F with the mods mentioned below in my signature. Still, the obvious torque difference is there. That said, it's fast for a 125. I went out on the first run around the track thinking that I would check out the suspension and set it up. A guy on an '04 YZ250f came up behind me and I forgot all about checking it out, I just didn't want to let him pass me. I ran pretty hard and let me just say above all, the suspension is amazing, and all I've done is pull the compression back a bit on the rear shock. I weigh 185 pounds so I'm big for a 125 but I don't know if I bottomed it all night. If I did it sure masks it well. I thought my 250F was pretty good with the Factory Connection rework but it doesn't even come close. The weight of the bike makes a big difference but this is incredible. I quickly realized that my years on the 250F have made my clutch hand and shifting foot lazy. You definitely have to think more about being in the powerband and in the right gear. When you are, the little bugger flies. When I wasn't, I cased some big doubles HARD. Here's the thing, it didn't matter! Case the jump, no big deal, it just goes right through it....get sideways in the whoops, no big deal, just pull it straight and keep on the gas.....land sideways off a jump, so what, it just sets itself straight.

The suspension is just amazing, and I know the weight has a lot to do with it. However, what amazes me is how this thing turns. The track was kind of rototilled soft and then hosed down so it was kind of messy. By the end of the night there were quite a few ruts and various berms. I realized that I wasn't even paying attention to them. You can turn cross rut, flat corner, across the berm, who cares? It just turns. I found myself laughing inside my helmet a bunch of times. Especially when I would case a jump and not even get close to crashing or banging around.

I had a lot of trouble jumping the whole night. I kept powering it right off the lip like I do my 250F which consistently resulted in a full-wheelie landing. In fact. several of my tabletop landings were about straight up and down. I will get this figured out. By the end of the night I had grown accustomed to keeping one finger on the clutch and remembering to shift more often and I was going very fast. I was passing people I would not normally pass. It took me a while to remind myself to keep her reved real high and exit corners a gear lower than I thought I should, but when you do it right you can really fly. The power is there, it's just finicky 2-stroke power.

Great bike. I love the 250F's and I will likely buy an '06. Still, I can ride this thing all night without getting tired. I know some folks say their 250F's don't tire them out as much but the wieght and suspension on the 125 just keeps me going. I oculd have gone longer but I had to get my son to the hospital.

Well, there's the report. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Good post! from just a having fun standpoint, the 05 YZ 125 is a blast to ride. If you feel the forks move through the mid-stroke a bit too fast, don't add compression, add about 7-10cc of oil. :cry:

good report!

I can't wait to hear somebody grabbing one of these yz125s and turning it into a woods bike. I imagine it might take some jetting, flywheel, pipe, reed, etc, work to get more low-end for the woods, but the weight would make it so sweet! I ride a 200 EXC that feels feather light at around 224, can't imagine being 20-30 pounds lighter!!!

Sounds like great bike, so the suspension is like or better then showas now??? u make it sound that way. I might just buy 05 250 smoker cuz of the frame and all. I hear its awesome and race ready out of the box. :cry: :cry:

A guy next to me had the new YZ250 and he said it was incredible. He was a fast rider and seemed to have it dialed in perfectly. I guess the Bill's Pipe for the YZ 125 adds considerable bottom end without losing top end so I may try that. Really, this bike with an RPM cheater kit would be just about the perfect motorcycle in my opinion, but I have a strong conscience. Still, if I go to riding in the over 40 class instead of the regular 125, I may go that way. Right now I just love it because it is fun and I feel like I am safer on it due to the weight and handling. Seriously, it's hard to crash on this thing.

Oh ya, my son is doing well. He is walking around now with his arm in a sling. He's a true rider, just bummed that he is off the bike for a while.

I can't wait to hear somebody grabbing one of these yz125s and turning it into a woods bike

I am racing my '05 YZ125 in enduro's and harescrambles usually in the 200A class against a lot of 200 EXC's. In the really tight stuff the lack of bottom bottom end power hurts me, compared to a 200. I feel like I am holding the throttle WFO and driving with the clutch sometimes. I have it geared two teeth bigger in back, and that helps, but a 125 will never pull like a 200 EXC or a 250f off the bottom. However, anything more open than that I would prefer to be on the 125. The handling is spectacular, the suspension maybe a little bit firm stock, and it absolutely teaches you how to keep corner speed and ride aggressive. It actually has more peak hp than a 200, but you have to ride it like you want it to blow up to use that power. I had a '99 and an '02 200 EXC so I am familiar with the bike. The only mods I have on the 125 for woods are triple clamps, TALL bars, barkbusters, e-line skid plate, 50t rear sprocket (up two teeth), and when they come out I'll probably put a FMF fatty with an e-line pipe guard on. As for setting up the suspension, I softened the fork comp. about 5 clicks, stiffened fork rebound about 3 clicks (it wasn't staying settled in corners as well with stock rebound), softened shock compression about 5 clicks, and set the sag. Also, about the big bore kit, I wouldn't suggest it on a 125. They don't even hold up very well stock if you ride them hard. I had a Varner 134 stroker kit in my '03 125 and the crank overheated, melted the crank stuffers, cracked, got out of balance, and took the cylinder, head, and piston with it. It is better to just keep it as stock as possible, put in a new piston, rings, wristpin, wristpin bearing, etc. ($60 for everything with my parts deal) every couple months and hope that the bottom end holds up. I know it sounds like a lot of maintenance to the 4-stroke riders out there, but for about $360 a year and not too much time the motor will hopefully be taken care of. The YZF's are good, but some other 250f's might cost way more to keep up.

Ya, I was surprised at how stiff the suspension is. It's really perfect for me as a 185 pound rider, but that is usually not the target weight in the 125 class. It doesn't feel stiff to me at my wieght, all I've done is back off the compression damping on the rear shock a bit. I love the suspension, and that should reflect well on the '05 YZF's as well since they use the updates also. I agree, it takes a bit to get used to reving the snot out of it. I really never run my 250F against the rev limiter. Last night I was going pretty good once I got the hang out of being one gear lower than my instincts told me. again though, for a 2-stroke 125, the motor and powerband are awesome.

James Stewart can win on a 2-stroke, why can't I? :cry:

i really wouldn't mind at all adding a 2005 yz125 to the mix. i rode my friends just yesterday, the lightness of the bike really helps this 130 pound dude out! going from my 250f to the new 125..it was insane! i could whip it around like no other! (although i held myself back...a little!). i can definitely see this bike in my garage in the near future.

oh, and thanks for your ride report...good stuff. hope your son is feeling better.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED I HAVE A 2005 YZ 125 BRAND NEW NEVER RIDDEN. NEVER EVEN HAD GAS IN IT YET . A WEEK AFTER I ORDERED IT I GOT HURT ON MY 04. I WILL BE OUT THE REST OF THE SEASON.I WANT 4900.00 THE BIKE WAS 5300.00 PLUS SO IT IS A BARGAIN. I HAVE TITLE. BIKE IS PAID IN FULL. PLEASE NO TRADES. I LIVE IN CONNECICUT . ANY ? CALL 203 509-7936

AGAIN GUYS THIS IS A BRAND NEW BIKE NEVER STARTED NEVER HAD GAS IN IT. IT IS NOT USED IN ANY WAY. THANKS DOM

hey guys that sounds like a deal. unfortunately i cant buy it because iam already buying a 2005 yz250f. Keeping the 04 for my trail riding bike and 05 for track

Nice report. What bike would you choose if you had to pick your 250f or you sons YZ125? Is your bike ok form when your son crashed on it? If I would have even attempted to do a doble on my dads bike I would be in huge troble. :cry: That would suck to get a brand new bike and then wreck and not be able to ride it. This could be an excuse for riding his bike though. You could say "hey how about I take your bike down to the track and you watch me so you can get an idea of how this baybe handals and stuff" :cry:

The YZ125 is MY bike. He has kind of taken over my 250F. It's technically still mine though. To answer your question, I would choose the YZ125 on the track and the 250F in the desert. This has a lot to do with me being old and out of shape. This makes the 125's weight (or lack thereof) a HUGE factor. It also seems safer for me, as it is very forgiving with the light wieght and suspension improvements. For a guy who can't afford to be broke up and off work, that matters!

I race long enduros and have wondered what it would be like to race a woods modded 05 YZ125. Nobody rides 2 stroke 125's in the races around here, I would be a novelty for sure. Yesterday I rode an enduro that was 60 miles of endless deep sand whoops. I'm 195 and 6'2", does it have enough power? Think I would get more or less tired riding it compared to a YZF250? I would think the lack of engine braking would be a good thing in deep sand.

I have a 05 YZ125 with FMF fatty FMFQ with Vforce3 reeds Devol skidplate radiator guards devol suppesion, and JDjetting kit 11oz fly wheel and gearing at 51 rear and it's a great! woods bike. I use to ride a 03 200 Exc and 04 400Exc and the YZ125 is the best woods bike I've ridden. I also own a 05 WR 250 and I like my YZ better

I finally got one last week based on all I have heard, thanks to you guys.

But still waiting for the snow and ice to melt away,

I won't put the studded tires on it any longer. Cannot wait to test it.

Cnv0127.jpg