Sign in to follow this  

Pine Grove (flying dutchman) hare scramble Sunday. 9/26. Anyone going?

This will be my first hare and I am really looking forward to it. I don't have a number yet, I'll get that SUnday but I will be with 2 KTM's #40 is the 400. I will be on an X with a numberplate not the headlight.

Hey Ill be there maybe we can meet up some place? I have a yz250f with the number 835 on the front. :cry:

I won't be able to make the HS this weekend, but I'm planning on trying the one they are having in October. Let us know how the course was. Good luck and have fun.

Last time I was there, the track was essentially a large MX. No super tight stuff, but it could be very windy and twisty. Definitely fun though.

I'd like to start doing some of them again, but the 450SX isn't quite as nice as the 520SX was for tight slow twisty stuff.

A hare scramble is a race consiting of at least 2 hours of competition.

You line up in waves, dead engine. When the "go" signal is given, you start your bikes and go!

The person with the most laps in 2 (or 3!) hours is the winner.

The courses are tight, in the woods, trees and roots, uphill, downhill, even a few MX sections can be thrown in if they like. If I recall, the course must be at least 4 miles in length, up to 16 miles in length.

You think MX is tough, you finish up a hare scramble in the front, and you can barely get off the bike sometimes.

wow that sounds tough, what do you do about gas issue? or is that not an issue? the stock tank on my xr250 is 2.8g i believe. do you know if there are any hare scrambles in the CT area? thanks

Teamster,

I will make the next one there. I want to get my son back in the riding swing before I turn him lose in a race.

If this is your first harescramble I would run Novice no matter what your riding skill is. :cry:

wow that sounds tough, what do you do about gas issue? or is that not an issue? the stock tank on my xr250 is 2.8g i believe. do you know if there are any hare scrambles in the CT area? thanks

Don't know about races in CT, but gas should not be an issue with your XR250. I've done 4 with mine and never run out of gas yet. Now that's with a 2 hour race. If you were to get involved at a level that would put you into a 3 hour race then you would probably have to look at refueling at some point.

For gas - if you cannot make it the whole time with one tank of gas, you need to get a refuel point. Just have a person ready, or leave a gas can somewhere slow (so you don't lose alot of time), and stop, fill up and go!

would you be able to carry a backpack with the little gas tanks ive heard people talk about, they sit in your backpack nicely and you just pour em in.

My dad did that one time, he carried bottles of gas. It worked GREAT until he tipped over and dumped gas all over his body and had chemical burns all over his right side...

8 Laps in 2.5 hrs. :cry:

I might have done better if the damn bike would have started right away. Kick starting an X was not what I had in mind. :cry: :cry:

Thats ok, it was all part of th eexperience of my first race.

At the half way point I was at 4 laps so I was consistant I think.

My main goal going into it was finishing, no more, no less.

In the end I finished 13th out of 17 in the Vet B class.

Better than last place I think. :cry:

I am really looking forward to doing it again. Will have some video in a week or so.

Pleny of HS's in CT. Check out www.netra.org

Tri State (NY)25-April-2004 Middletown, NY

Juniper Hill 02-May-2004 Chaplin, CT

CATRA I 16-May-2004 Fishhouse, NY

Dam Good Cancelled Thomaston, CT

Rattlesnake Run 27-June-2004 Union, CT

Connecticut State 11-July-2004 Union, CT

CATRA II 25-July-2004 Fishhouse, NY

Rocky Mountain 08-Aug-2004 Alton, NH

Salmon Run 15-Aug-2004 Sheffield, VT

Richardson's Farm 05-Sept-2004 Uxbridge, MA

Stateline 12-Sept-2004 Hoosick, NY

Hard Knox 19-Sept-2004 Westfield, MA

Bobriwka Hare Scramble 26-Sept-2004 Colebrook, CT

Woodsocross 03-Oct-2004 Sterling, CT

Tri State (NY) 10-Oct-2004 Coeyman's Hollow, NY

does your bike also have to be street legal for netra hare scrambles? I know it does for netra enduro's.

No, it doesn't need to be registered for HS.