Sign in to follow this  

Back firing bacause of head pipe to mufler clamp?

Could my crf be back firing becasue the clamp that holds the head pipe and the muffler together is not tight enough? I have checked everything else that I can possible think of. The bike runs fine, but in neutral if you rev it, it backfires like crazy. Never did that before.

when i went to the pro-circuit can with the stock header it was real loose at the connection joint.I used the stock clamp with the stock asbetis type material and no problems.kinda ugly though :cry:

Well, new clamp and gasket on the stock stuff and it still backfires like crazy. It has been at teh dealer for 4 days now and they are all baffled. The guy over there had the carb off 5 times and cleaned it like you would a french whore and it still back fires. Tried a new CDI also. Can't figure it out. Tried different headpipes too.

This is getting annoying. Makes me want to burn the bike and get an 05, but i can't afford too. I just bough this thing 4 months ago.

So it runs fine on track...? But only backfires when in neutral (no load on engine) on the stand?

Well, don't rev it up like that, just ride it :cry:

Seriously. Jetting issue? Has anyone checked a plug reading or took an exhaust gas reading?

Yeah, it seems lean. SOmething sems to be leaning out the pilot circuit. Unfortunately teh guy at the dealership has had the carb off 5 times and cleaned the hell out of it but can't figure it out. I will take my buddy's carb off his bike adn try it to make sure that it is carb related.