Sign in to follow this  

best tires for desert. do not need to be dualsport.

ok well i'm planning ahead for the oncoming desert season. I ride Ocotillo wells, supersition mountain, plaster city, and a few other places but mostly those. For you guys that aren't familiar with the terrain it is mostly loose decomposed granite looking stuff with some hardpack here and there. Superstition mountain has some dunes that are really powderery. I am looking for a tire that will last relatively well.

i was thinking of something like this for all the traction in the world on the sand. but i don't know if it will hold up because i will be riding some hardpack.

mt44r.jpg

i was also thinking of going with the sandcross tire

mt32.jpg

what do you guys suggest?

oh yeah i will be ocassoinally riding the bike to school which is about 2 miles away from my house. i know the tires aren't dualsport but don't tell anybody. :cry:

RUBENZ: I have grown up riding those area's!! great winter riding. I used to run the dunlop A/T's. I think they were K490's. I will check into it and get back to you. At any rate the tire performed great in those conditions and would last forever!!

If you ever need a weather check just PM me, as I am only 30 minutes from Ocotillo!!! :cry:

IF your talking strictly off road I dont think you can beat the Maxxis Sur Cross. They were simply fantastic off road. Most of my buddies hated me because I got traction that they never could. Also they hated riding behind me (where they usually were) because the tires had a tendancy to pick up large rocks and chuck them as if they were pea gravel. Fantastic fantastic fantastic off road tires

On road they werent bad either except that the desert heat on the pavement would tear them up in about 600 miles. I ate threw them quickly riding back and forth on pavement. I currently run Pereilli MT21s and they are the perfect comprimise tire. Bites well (although not as good as the Maxxis) off road and is sure footed on road.

Good luck in your tire pick and let us know what you choose.

Eric and Liz

:cry:

All I do is ride desert and DG I would suggest IRC M5b or the Terraflex both hold up great and are almost like paddle tires, whatever tire you pick go as big as you can ...i.e. 140 so it floats on the sand.

What kinda milage you getting out of the 739?

I have them on my kx500 and they have lasted two seasons. I don't ride on the street much with that tire.

how does it do in soft sand?

I have a paddle for sand.

The superstition mountains are AZ borne and bred. I use the Dunlop 739AT 120/100X18 in Tucson and surrounding areas from new mexico to prescott. I have some problems hooking up in the loose decomposed granite you speak of and am looking toward changing to the Bridgestone M22 (medium) terrain tire with my next replacement. You might try the Dunplo 756 soft terrain tire next, some of the guys I ride with use it and like it alot. It is a hard rubber that doesn't chunck easily and it wears better than the 739AT.