Sign in to follow this  

gearing ?'s

What do you guys think will be the best gearing for trail/ road riding?

im getting my bike made road legal...but just took it for a spin on back roads today to see how it will be and to get from one trail to the other.

On the trail its decent i fin my self winding out first or second getting up steep climbs...and really in 3rd or 2nd almost all the time. On the road its lacking major power...i know the bike is not ment to be road riding. But once you get past about 1/4th throttle it seems like the bike cant really handle it...it revs really high it sounds and kinda starts to shake...therefore i never went past 1/4th throttle in 6th with my bike.

is there anyway to eliminate that??

also would stock gearing be the best in this case, or even like 2-3 smaller teeth in the rear?

lastly who has a trail tech on thier bike and knows the speed of a uncorked and jetted 230? the bike is decent, i heard ppl saying 70mph +... but that sounds kinda hihg seeing how my buddies z400 is about 5-10 mph faster on top end then the 230 and i thought that the quad manufacturers didnt really allow past 75mph on a stock quad?

I'd say take some teeth off the back...go with an X-ring chain. Maybe a 14 tooth up front, but you have to remove the chain cover.

I added one tooth to the front and it is much better on the road although it could still be higher. The problem is that 4th, 5th, & 6th are too close. It needs a big overdrive in 6th for highway but the trany is closer than an XR200? Dumb engineering!

Why do you feel that the gear ratio selection is dumb ??

If you are going to use this bike for street use, remember that its designers never intended it to be used as such. Most dirt bikes do have fairly close ratio transmissions. You may have to gear the bike up even further to meet your requirements. When the hi speed gearing is tall enough for your liking, you may find that now first gear seems too tall. Good luck !!

uncorked and jetted, my stock bike went 60 MPH. It now does 80 (see sig) this is with my trail tech, and verified with my buddies SV650.

yeah coeshows right the gearing selection isn't dumb your dumb for thinking that a 230f should have road gearing.. just buy a dual sport bike :cry:

NUFF SAID!!!!

My 91 XR200 seams to be geared just about right. I raced them in woods and desert enduros with great sucess. When you add a bunch of torque like the 230 has, it only makes sense that you can widen the gears especially the top ones not make them closer. For enduro riding in tight woods close low gears let you find one that is just right and reduce shifting. But even then when you come out to a road and need to make up time, you can't have too tall of a top gear. With my 230, once I pass 3rd all I do is shift with virtually no incrrease in speed. I raced a Can-Am 125 one year and I used the MX close ratio trany in the desert because of sand but a wide ratio TNT trany in the woods enduros because of catch up speed on roads.

Why do you feel that the gear ratio selection is dumb ??

If you are going to use this bike for street use, remember that its designers never intended it to be used as such. Most dirt bikes do have fairly close ratio transmissions. You may have to gear the bike up even further to meet your requirements. When the hi speed gearing is tall enough for your liking, you may find that now first gear seems too tall. Good luck !!

I agree with you to a point. Yes the 230 is more torquey than the XR200. Overall I think that the 230 transmission gear selection is spot on. I know that both 5th and 6th gears are overdriven. In reality, there is not much comparison between the CRF230 and old XR200. I have owned both and the CRF is a better bike. Things get improved on with time. The CRF230 is the direct descendant of the XR200. Just new AND improved.