Sign in to follow this  

02 wr250 performance ?

I just bought an 02 wr250 last week and had a couple questions. The bike has low miles and looks and runs well. Free mods when I got it included,03 wr exhaust cam, throtle stop cut, and exhaust plug removed. I was told that carb was rejetted to match unpluged ex. The bike starts easy cold and hot. I rode it twice for about 30 miles before I did the grey wire mod. That really helped the low and mid range but it now seems a little flat on top. I went back and reconected the grey wire and it still seems flat on top. My question is do these bikes normally pull hard all the way to the rev limiter or is it hard to get there. It seemed like before I touched the grey wire it pulled harder on top. I have disconnected the grey wire again becouse low and mid are so much better that way. The other question deals with noise!! I dont want to spend alot of money so I was looking at one of the end plugs. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :cry:

I bought a pro-moto billet insert for my 02 and like it a lot! I also drilled out 3 other holes in it. the power is good and it is still under the 99db level. as far as the grey wire goes, I cut mine a long time ago and was one of the best mods I did. hope you figure it out. Chris :cry: :cry:

it now seems a little flat on top.

that's the result of WRF cam timing.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f (w/ '03 YZF cam), and my brother's '01 yz250f to compare it to.

I just read the thumperfaq article on cam timming and Im a little confused. Can I set my 03 wr exhaust cam to yzf timming and still have the autodecompression work. Something about a pin being 1mm longer on the wr cam

Not to hijack your thread, but I just did the YZ cam timing, grey wire, and moose friction plates the other day. Pulled out of my garage and turned down the road, gave it some gas (not a whole lot) and the front wheel lifted right up on me. :cry: I am so impressed with the difference in power. Before, 75% of the times I would try and get the front wheel off the ground, it wouldn't. Now I've got to be careful with the gas. :cry: (Oh yeah, the Moose friction plates, steel plates and springs work great. I can finally find nuetral and no more creeping forward with the clutch pulled in.)

Dont get me wrong, My bike has lots of power and will pull the wheel easy in first 3 gears. Besides I way 220lbs. It just just drops off before the rev limiter. What year is your wr and does it have a wr or yzf cam.

Mine's an 02 also, it's still got the stock WR cam and "uncorked" stock exhaust. I weigh about 155. The bike feels like a totally different machine now. Can't wait to take it to the trail. :cry:

So you dont have the auto comp. release cam. I need to find out if I can set the 03 wr cam to yzf timming without messing up comp. release in an 02 bike. The thumper faq. article is not real clear in my pea size brain. :cry:

My understanding is that if you want auto decompression and YZ timing you have to use the YZ cam. I don't remember exactly why. There are old threads on the subject if you look for them. The 03 YZ cam is the next mod I'm doing to my 02 WR. I can't wait but my wallet demands that I hold off until payday.

So you dont have the auto comp. release cam. I need to find out if I can set the 03 wr cam to yzf timming without messing up comp. release in an 02 bike. The thumper faq. article is not real clear in my pea size brain. :cry:

from the FAQ:

given that you have an '01 or '02 WR250F...

If you want auto-compression release AND YZF timing, you need a '03 YZF cam

If you want auto-compression release AND WRF timing, you need a '03 WRF cam

"crosswise combinations" (like an '03 WRF cam set to YZF timing) will lead to problems starting.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

If I pull the 03 wr cam and install yzf cam w/yzf timming will I suffer in the low and mid range power. Is the upper end gain worth another $150.00 bucks :cry: