Sign in to follow this  

Oil filter with every oil change?

Hi,

Just wondering if you all change the oil filter with every oil change? I've been changing mine with the OEM ones everytime but at $10 a pop that gets expensive.

Also, do you think that the Scotts steel filter is a better option.

Thanks. :cry:

I would change the filter every time. It's a lot cheaper then replacing the engine. Go on ebay. I get all my filters there. Last time I picked up 7 filters for $20 and that included shipping. Good luck.

I change the oil every 2-3 rides, and the filter about every 3-4 oil changes. Some early four strokes didn't even have filters.

The Scott's works fine, but is pricey.

I bought my first 'racing' 4-stroke in 2001 (KTM). I get three rides or one race on an oil change, and change the filter every OTHER time.

Who is selling "hi-flo" oil filters for $2.89? I wouldn't mind changing it everytime at that price.

Thanks for all the input. :cry:

Just curious...what do you guys do when you change the oil in your car? Do you change the filter each change or every other?

thousands of miles versus hours? The oil filters are cheap enough, are you saying the filters can't hold up/filter oil for 4 hours?

No, what I am saying is why would you put fresh oil in and leave a dirty filter and the old oil thats in the filter housing. Hey, it's your motor...treat as you wish. Tdub

Well there is a very small amount of oil in a CRF, but the filter is the same size as other bikes and is capable of filtering more oil for a longer period of time. So for me I change my oil filter every other oil change. Now I dont race and this works for me, but others will have to do what they think is best for them and their engine. Also I buy K&N filters for $5 each.

Supposedly the Hi-Flo filters are identical to the K&N, at least someone on this forum stated that a while back, plus they are considerably cheaper in price.

I change my oil every 2 practices but if i race the bike does not get ridden again unless the oil is changed because i am brutal on the thing during races...high RPM starts slamming into gears mid air n such.......I do the oil filter every oil change

Supposedly the Hi-Flo filters are identical to the K&N, at least someone on this forum stated that a while back, plus they are considerably cheaper in price.

HiFlo Filtro MAKES the filters for K&N....they are great.

I change my oil every 3 rides max, sometimes 2 rides deoending on how much I rode, and I change my filter every other oil change. I ride practice as hard as a race, so I just go by how many weekends I rode period, no differentiation between a race or a practice day. Heck a practice day puts more stress on the bike (longer riding times) than a race day anyways.

Clean the air filter EVERY ride.

I love my bike *sniff* I just want to ride again soon.... :cry: :cry: