Sign in to follow this  

how to make 125 quieter?

I have stock pipe and even with the spark arrestor its not quiet enough. I want extreme silence. How can I go about doing this? If I bought the Engines Only pipe and did some disc changes, could I get it really silent? is there anything I can do? (and dont say ear plugs) :cry:

due to the fact that it is a dirtbike, your best chance is just to put those plugs in the exhaust pipe, or not ride it, stock is about as quiet as it is going to get, if you try to take anymore noise away your throttle response will be horrible :cry:

What I noticed in Japan is that some Yamaha dirt bikes are street bikes in Japan. It could be possible to get street bike muffler and Yamaha in Japan may make one for your bike.

try re-packing it with muffler packing even more than it is, but i dont know if you could do it anymore.

The reason I ask is because I want to just stroll around the property, ride to campsite, stuff like that. When climbing the hills around here its just too loud. My friends vinson 500 is quiter. To test how loud it is I try talking to myself and I cant hear my own voice. I need to shout. I rarely ride track anymore and Im thinking about selling it for a klx/drz 110. Maybe thats quieter? Thanks

Well Maybe you have a broken pipe or something, becasue a stock TTR125 is very quiet, i think too quiet.

Yes a stock TTR with spark arrestor in is VERY quiet. If your not happy with the quietness of the TTR, get outa dirtbikin, cuz there ain't many bikes quieter than a TTR (without goin 2 somethin so small u can't ride it). Just my opinion.

EDIT:If you run the TTR at idle, it is the same dbs as a gas weedeater at idle. Full RPM'S, same as a gas weedeater full RPM's.

EDIT:If you run the TTR at idle, it is the same dbs as a gas weedeater at idle. Full RPM'S, same as a gas weedeater full RPM's.

I knew it, the TTR engine is the same as they use in weedeaters. :cry:

I knew it, the TTR engine is the same as they use in weedeaters. :cry:

Actually, no. The weedeater motors are about 5cc (or at least mine is). Only about a 120cc difference, no biggy :/

Haha, ok. So about a 100cc difference. LOL. Needless to say the TTR engine rocks(for doing what it's designed to do, well, actually, the whole bike rocks for what it's designed to do).

Weedeaters are 2 strokes motors and a crappy exhaust, that why they are so loud. The TTR is about the most quiet out there. You would have to make you own muffler or have Dave Miller make you a one off pipe. Obviuosly the performance would suffer. If anyone could do it, he could.

Maybe when I get some $ saved up il give him a look. Thanks alot.

This bike is quiet compared to other bikes, yes. But not compared to a pw50! I seen one of those things at the track putting around and It was right next to me flying around the hills and I could BARELY hear it. I want to be able to talk with my friend and just enjoy the woods without the barking sound of a motor. I know it can be done, and I dont care about power, as long as its not harming the engine. The stock sound is W-A-Y too loud. putting around the yard in 2nd hardly on the throttle... is fine. But when I go up the trail and climb the hills and get some speed... forget it. ttr125l.com says the TTR is 93db. at 85 db (according to dangerousdecibels.org) ear damage occurs in 8 hours. for every 3 DB louder then 85, the exposer time is cut in half for ear damage to develope. Which makes 93 aprox. 1 hour. And I believe my TTR is louder then 93 db.

I know its a dirtbike but WHO CARES. If people can make there bikes so loud it makes your ears bleed, I should be able to make mine a whisper. Although there doesnt seem to be much of a market for my type of ridders. :cry:

Get a cork or a solid rubber cork drill a Quarter inch hole and cork your exhaust with that. I think the stock hole is 1/2 inch so any thing smaller would be a little quieter just a thought don't know if it will work or not but worth a shot if u want it quieter than it already is. :cry:

Sorry to bugde in but does anyone know if I take the tip of the exaust off on my 2003 yamaha ttr 125 will it screw anything up??I took it off today and it seem to run ok and it sounds really good.But I don't want to screw my bike up so tell me if anything will get screwed up on it..

I wouldn't see any reason to make it any quieter than it is :cry: Does it just bother you or anyone else?

Does it really bug you that much?

One way to quiet the exhaust is to fabricate a 90 degree

turn down pipe for the end of the exhaust. That will direct the

sound pulses directly at the ground which will help diffuse the

sound and also reflect it up toward the sky instead of at whoever is behind you.

A turn down pipe looks kinda funny but it works! :cry:

I have seen this sort of thing on garden tractors to keep their sound levels

down without choking off the exhaust too much.

One way to quiet the exhaust is to fabricate a 90 degree

turn down pipe for the end of the exhaust. That will direct the

sound pulses directly at the ground which will help diffuse the

sound and also reflect it up toward the sky instead of at whoever is behind you.

A turn down pipe looks kinda funny but it works! :cry:

I have seen this sort of thing on garden tractors to keep their sound levels

down without choking off the exhaust too much.

Yes I think that would be the best way. My friend has a 1983 Honda XL 200 that is what he did made a difference