Sign in to follow this  

Best bike?

I like my 02 drz400s, mainly because it will do anything in the woods then i can ride it home and to and from work on monday( assuming i didnt break anything). stock the drzE or kick model are better because they arent detuned to run 87octane. but a different base gasket, 39mm fcr carb and a little exhaust youve got the same bike. If you can get a street legal E in your area that would be good. Id rather be riding a 2smoke but having to compromise i like the drz. The only main downfall are the stock tires. The bike needs armor too, the mag covers and the radiators get banged so im told. the cam chain tensioner has been known to fail so a manual one should be swapped. gearing isnt the best off road but if you ride on you have to comfomise. at 280lbs the street legal model is nice. off road kicker looses a good bit of weight. after 01, the suspension on all 3 models is the same.

hope that helps some.

My yz250f is an excellent bike for agressive/technical trail riding. I would not pick any other bike for technical trail riding. :cry:

I love my 99 WR400. I have a YZ seat tank combo and an FMF Q pipe, both which help make it perfect for trails.

honda 250X is a great bike.... i tried one out (fathers freinds) and it seems to ride quit smoothly.... it has plenty of power up hills... i like'd it... but if u want some StRICTLY FOR TRAILS... the XR650 with ELEctric start.. thats the way to go :cry:

the biggest, heaviest dirtbike you can buy is the best for trails, eh? :cry:

To each their own. :cry:

For a all around bike!!, nothing beats a CR500 Honda??. I love the open class Hondas, funny thing is I find myself having ALOT! more fun with my DRZ400S!!!. with a few mod,s a decent offroad bike and street legal to??. DAMM!!, maybe I'm just getting old and slow???,(NOT!!). :cry:

If 50 different people reply to this post their will be 50 different best bikes. :cry: Trail riding can be about anything you make out of it, from a little 5 year old on a pw 50 to Scott Summers blasting away on a XR650 or anything in between. Equals out to how good of a rider are you? How much do you want to spend and how fast do you want to go? Then just find the bike that fits in that notch. :cry:

I've had a TE610, WR400, 300EXC, CDale E440, YZ450F, and now a 525EXC. My favorite bike was the E440, but they went bankrupt so 2nd favorite is 300EXC.

I got the 525 EXC to dual sport and cause in CA, you need a green sticker to ride in the summer, and I rode a ton this summer.

Cheers,

You're right there, I had a Hodaka Ace 100 back in the early 70s. I still regret getting rid of it. Was a blast. I ride a 520 KTM now, not quite as much fun, but I weigh more now.

I have owned 1986xr200, 1986xr250, 1985xr350, 1997xr 400, 2001 xr650r, 2000 ktm sxc 400, 2001 yam yzf 426, 2001 yam wr250f, 1991 ktm 250 exc ,( not in any order, and now a 2001 KTM 300 exc, The 300 exc is by far the most versitle, light, fast and easy to ride everywhere Im buying another one for sure! If anyone is looking buy one you will love it truly a great bike!

I have owned:

1991 cr500

1991 xr250

1992 cr250

1992 kx250

1998 yz400f

2002 crf450r

2005 crf250r

I can say that as of right now the crf250 is the most fun i have ever had riding a bike in the woods! It is very light,corners awsome and has the perfect amount of power for the tight stuff.

I have recently ridden a 2004 yz250f and a 2004 ktm 200exc and i can also say that those two are right up there in the fun catagory as well.

But my '02crf450 is so well set up right now i can't imagine riding anything beter!

Greetings.

Maybe everyone thinks their bike is best because it's what they're used to and serves the purpose they require. My mates and I like to throw a dart at a map of the Blue Mountains west of Sydney and load up the tents, beer and 1st aid kit...then try to get to the objective. I know there are better handling, lighter and more economical bikes than BRPs but we all have XR600s because they're road legal here and I like the reliability of them. They can also pretty much get anywhere and I love the grunt of them. Smokers have there place as do lighter thumpers but getting there and back safely :cry: is more important than going as fast as I can through tight trails to me.

Horses for courses I guess.

:cry: