Sign in to follow this  

Best bike?

So did you get a new ride yet?

I'd say for:

tight stuff: get something light

Wide open: Get lots of gears

Big hills: Get some power

For all of the above, get a KTM 300EXC. I got the 525 EXC cause I needed a green sticker and dual sported it. I probably ride my KTM about 70% of the time cause it works best in most areas for me. YZ is lighter, KX is faster than both cause its not stock, but can be a handful at times, but still they all fun.

My 525 puts out the least HP, but has the most usuable power and I find that is why I ride it more. Its just soooo smooth and easy to ride.

The KTM 300 is same way, only 2-stroke (ie. much easier to ride then any MX 2-stroke).

Cheers,

Your 2004 YZ125 has got to be the best trail bike! What else would even come close? You could put lights on it if you wanted, gear up, down, spark arrestor, quiet silencer, big tank, skid plates, bark busters, gps. Heck, it's unlimited. :cry:

Greetings.

Im sure The YZ125 is perfect for some people, but no matter what mods u put on it or how you dress it up when u have a bit of space theres a chance u may miss the pure GRUNT of a big-bore thumper...

:cry:

I ride a KLX300R and love it for trails. My buddy's CRF250X is also a great trail bike.

I would love to ride a XR600 or an old KX500, but I don't have the balls.

Yea, if you got a 2004 YZ125, I say add:

o Fly Wheel Weight

o Bigger Tank

o A PMB Kick-it Stand

o Cycra Pro-Bend Hand Gaurds

o Fatty Pipe

o V-Force Reeds

Then start riding, YOu can get by with less, maybe jut

the FWW.

After you want more speed put a big bore kit in it. Look at the GNCC races, the YZ is one of the more popular bikes. The 125 is lighter and easier to toss around, and you already own it.

I feel faster on my KTM or YZ, but the stop watch say's I'm faster on my old KX. Don't be surprised if its the same for you. The bike you have could be the best one for you.

Cheers,

What can I say? I have my DRZ400S modified almost to an E model and it is really a pleasure to ride. Does not matter if I am riding at a slow pace or really cranking and jumping, it goes without difficulty. I have ridden up to 145 miles in a day riding extremely hard (including some rain) and still got up the next day to do it over and over again---It is a really comfortable bike. The more I ride, the better it gets too. But this is after about 800 miles that I am truly satisfied with my abilities and the weight of the bike (I think it is a wee bit heavy :cry:). I am 5'8" at 183lbs so I find the bike on the ground a lot because my feet just don't reach. Otherwise, its a keeper! :cry:

for the price, it's hard to beat an KDX200 or 220 for a trail bike (unless you're a pretty big guy). They need a few mods, but then they are good to go for the average guy.

If you got the money to burn the KTM's are pretty sweet.

I love my 03 yz450f in trails it rips but if it gets to technical it starts to get hot fast with only having a 4 speed it gets annoying you wish it would be geared lower

Toss up, either my X or a KTM 200EXC. I may think differently when I move to the high desert in Arizona. What do you guys think??????

The yz250f 05 is my choice for tight technical trails and can also be used for motocross very versitile bike

ive heard a lot of good things about the yamaha YZ250F. both trail and track bike

the 06 will be even better, because the radiators are bigger. I've had my 04 stinking hot in the idaho backcountry more times than I can count, partly due to some nice strong rad guards which killed the flow a bit.

Now i'm goin to KTM 250 sxf, and I will be very choosy about my rad guards.

But the yami motor is bulletproof and the bike is pretty light.

For long trail rides not racing the drz is great sure its porky ,but its fast enough and doesn't tire you out too fast lots of miles no grief.

I recently bought a used 1998 KLX 300R for $2000. It's awesome so far. A nice "in between" size. A little lower than most, lightweight and plenty of power with the pumper carb and Big Gun Exhaust... and it looks cool too.

See it here

my 125 has tackled everything i've thrown at it so far, so i would have to say that is my favorite trail bike...

only change i would make is probably a 167cc kit, and maybe a wide ratio tranny for those 1st gear only hills

Mine. It's the best for everything because it's the only one I have and no you can't have it :banghead::banghead:

I love my 03 yz450f in trails it rips but if it gets to technical it starts to get hot fast with only having a 4 speed it gets annoying you wish it would be geared lower

on my 05yz450 i've done everything possible to improve the bottom (powernow,powerbomb header w/shortened pc4,icat,irridium plug,twinair,rekluse clutch,+6 flywheel,13/52 gearing) and all i can say is this thing is a woods weapon! technical or not :banghead: as far as the overheating i put on fluidyne rads,filled them w/evans npg-r,CR9EIX in the summer-8 in the cooler temps,and use 22cool in the oil;no more overheating woes whatsoever! proper jetting is also critical with these bikes :banghead: the 4 spd is one of the reasons i bought the yz,the wr trannie was too gappy and i found myself searching for gears alot. i'd have to say the yz 450 can make one heck of an offroad race bike :lol:

I am extremely happy with my Yamaha WR500. WR series is great overall as is KTM. I am not overly impressed with honda but they seem to be focusing on MX bikes anyways (although the XR650R did meet my standards).

In short, my 2 smoke 500 is the best ever :banghead:

Later,

Dan

I also think 500 two strokes are the best trail bikes. I have a 1997 CR500 that is easier to ride than anything else, no matter what the terrain is, I'd pick this bike over all others. I'm not even a big guy, I weigh 160-170 with gear. CR500's are the ultimate trail bikes, tons of luggable power, super light weight (220 pounds is nothin' compared to most trail bikes), great handling, and they have awesome suspension (if you know how to set it up). I am an intermediate trail rider, and I do everything from tigh single track with 6 foot cliffs, to hillclimbs (moderately steep), and even some MX. The CR500 does it all! And the repair bill is extremely cheap. $200 for a blown top end. $300-$400 for a blown top and bottom end. Thats cheaper than anything else out there. Blow a 450, and you will be out a few grand, and the 500 is better in every way, so there's no excuse for buying a 450 instead. Low maintenance, low repair bills, bulletproof design, Honda fit and finish, and best of all, its the fastest bike out there.

Guys, Please stay on subject , this is THUMPERTALK. Not 2 stroke talk. 2 stroke promotion is not allowed here. General questions that could include 2 strokes are allowed but specific mention of that a certain 2 stroke is better than a 4 stroke is off subject and will be deleted from now on.

Thanks,

Dwight