Sign in to follow this  

Protective Gear

Been adding one piece of protective gear each time I go out for a ride -- helmet and gloves on the first few rides, Sidi boots the next few times, a camelbak on every ride since (water is essential, and makes a great cushion for your back), then elbow pads today. Pretty soon, I'll add a chest protector and then knee pads. I'm not racing, but at my age I figure it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. How many of you guys (and gals) are using protective gear? For racing? Trail riding? Both? What kinds of gear? Do you put your elbow and knee pads under your jersey and riding pants, or over them? Why? What advice can you share from your own experience? Talk to me...

You are getting all the right stuff,

I mainly trail ride and have all the items you've listed. One item you should invest in is a Kidney Belt with back support. Mine is a Fox brand. It keeps my kidneys from jarring loose and my stomach tucked in. It also helps support my lower back. Good gloves and goggles are a must as well.

I wear my knee pads inside my riding pants. My elbow protectors go on the outside of my jersey.

And finally, I wear a tool pouch around my waist with the necessary tools to do some basic work on the bike, along with some rope, a small first aid kit, $5.00 and spare keys to my truck.

I may look like a 5 banded armadillo while riding, but it sure is nice to know that I am protected.

ripntear

helmet, gloves, boots, knee pads and i have these pads that extend from my wrist all the way to my shoulders...i have full sleeves and want to protect the art... protect your self better safe than sorry :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

You are going in the right dirrection :cry: I ride mainly trails as well. I run a evs ballistic jersey most of the time, just seem to like it better than a over chest guard. Do get a kidney belt, and a few have a hard plate to offer some lower back protection. I also run asterik knee braces (previous knee surgery) cammel back with a few tools as well.