Sign in to follow this  

Questions about new chain install- master clip and axle position

Just slapped on new X ring chain and sprockets-2 questions:

1. Should master link clip "wiggle" at all? I really struggled getting it on-its on but I can wiggle the rear of the clip up and down a little bit. It seems to be seated in the pin grooves pretty good.

2. The chain is at the proper tension only with the axle all the way to the rear of the swingarm (didnt realize chain was too long until I had it on). I really dont want to remove the whole thing and take out links-is there any prob with having the axle so far back? The axle blocks actually are sticking out beyond the back of the swingarm a bit. Im thinking the bike may handle differently with the axle in this position. What to do? Not much time to screw with this!

Yes it will handle like a longer bike, it wont turn in as quickly but it will be more stable. Try it, if you ride tight tracks, you want to run it short and also that way when it stretchs you still have some adjustment left. Also be sure too check the chain tension thru the whole arc of travel. It should never be tight in any position. Usually about 3-4 fingers under the chain slider is about right.

Thanks! Ive resolved to remove a link or two-mostly because I will need to adjust it if it stretches. Duh!